The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How to install Windows 7 Beta?

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dnlkk94
  • Latest reply from dnlkk94
  • Topic Viewed 1135 times

dnlkk94

Hey. I wish to install the Windows 7 Beta.

I downloaded the beta file about a month ago, never really got around to installing it. (The beta file I downloaded is "default.aspx")

I'm currently running Windows Vista. I want to keep all of my files and have the option between either booting W7 or Windows Vista. How should I do this?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I would recommend this approach. I run it without problems and you do not have to create an extra disk partition - with all the troubles that go with it. Plus, you can run W7 and Vista side by side and switch over with one click - no reboots required.

Posted 5 years ago

dnlkk94

Thanks whs, following that guide now using VirtualBox.

When it comes time that the Windows 7 Beta will no longer work, how do I uninstall Windows 7? Do I just delete that Virtual Partition?

EDIT: According to your guide, when making a new virtual partition in VB, you told us to choose "Windows XP" from the drop down menu because Windows 7 and Vista aren't there... but for me, it is. I don't know if you were using an older version of VB, but in my drop down menu I have all Windows OSs, for example XP, Vista, and I even have Windows 7 in that list. Should I choose Windows 7?

EDIT #2: Wait. I got my Virtual Partition running, but I want to install directly from my downloaded W7 Beta image. But what I downloaded was an .aspx file (default.aspx). Help?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Simple. Once VB is installed, you will find a .VirtualBox folder in the top folder that has your name. In there you have a "Hard disk" and a "Machines" folder. If you delete the files in there that have the name you gave to the virtual partition that runs W7, they will be gone.
Just on another topic. Don't be amazed when your Vista runs slow the first time you switch from the VB partition back into Vista (with CTL RIGHT). You just took a big chunk out of the real estate of superfetch when you launched the VB, and it will need some time to rearrange things. But after a little while, things will come back to normal. I have 3GB of RAM and hardly feel any performance impact (after Superfetch did its act). That is a very small pricve to pay for the convenience to be able to switch back and forth. Best advice here is to keep the virtual partition up all day. Then you have the start-up only once.
If you have trouble getting your internet or USB or file sharing going, come back. All of that is easily done - one just has to know how (as usual).

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

OK, Edit#1 - indeed, you have a later release than the one I described. Pick W7 instead of XP.
Edit #2 that is strange. I downloaded the .iso. Here I do not have an immediate answer. Have to do some research. From where did you get this file?

Posted 5 years ago

dnlkk94

Thank you for your answer for Edit #1.

About Edit #2: Apparently something went wrong when I downloaded the supposed iso file. Luckily, I'm downloading the correct ISO file again now from Microsoft. File name is 7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate_GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso , which is the exact same file name as the one you had (judging from the screenshot in your guide), so I think I'm downloading the correct one now. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

from what I can tell you got the wrong thing. Go here (bottom right on the page) and download the .iso. But hurry, they are about to close the site.

Edit: sounds good. I guess you are in for a couple of hours. Phew, you just made it.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

dnlkk94, default.aspx is a web page, not the Windows 7 installer. You will need the .ISO file which is a DVD image around 2.5 GB in size. Also, if you want to run the beta for longer than 30 days without having to hack it repeatedly, you should get a license key. Start here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

Posted 5 years ago

dnlkk94

Yep, thanks, I'm downloading it now. "Windows 7 Beta Download Center," it appears to be some Java download thing. 2.44 GB, 4% done. Thanks for your help! :)

EDIT: @ Scott - Alright, thanks. What's weird is that the "default.aspx" file I had is also approx. 2.44 gb. Oh well. Thanks everyone for your help!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Did you get the product key that ScottW was mentioning?

Posted 5 years ago

dnlkk94

Yes, I did. It was on the the page with the download button.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!