The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

How to install win 8 on a preselected partition

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by budyoungbudgmailcom
  • Latest reply from budyoungbudgmailcom
  • Topic Viewed 973 times

budyoungbudgmailcom

When i start to install win 8 consumer preview it only give 2 options as to where to intall it.
CD/DVD drive or Flash Drive
I have created a partition on my hard disk for it but it doesn't allow me to select it.
Any idea how i can install to the partition i created?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you are trying to execute the Wiondows 8 Consumer Preview setup.exe (4.99MB) the first step would be to create the bootable DVD or Flash Drive. Once created you would then boot from that media to do the actual installation. Perhaps you are at that step.

Posted 2 years ago

budyoungbudgmailcom

I don't have any DVD or Flash Drives right now, that is why i was wondering if there was a way to install to the Partition without them.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

No you have to actually boot from the media to do the install.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

If you install Win8 in Virtual Box, you can do that directly from the .iso file. The Virtual Box installation is the ultimate anyhow because you can run your current system and Win8 seemlessly together. Here is how

Posted 2 years ago

budyoungbudgmailcom

I tried Vbox and couldn't get anywhere with that 3 times following advice from Howtogeek and also from Fred Langa.
I got as far as the Install part and it indicated that it could not find the driver.
I am not a computer geek my knowledge is somewhat limited on this stuff but i like to do what i can and try stuff.
Thanks for the comebacks on my inquiry, i really do appreciate it.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I'm not sure you have downloaded the appropriate file. What is the file you are working with. The name must end in .iso and it should be about 2-3GB or more in size.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Xhi is right. Maybe something is wrong with your ISO. Get the 64bit from here - there are problems with the 32bit in Virtual Box. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Posted 2 years ago

budyoungbudgmailcom

Ok i will give the 64bit iso file a try with Vbox and see what happens.
Thanks again guy's
Bud

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.