How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to install a solid state drive

(23 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 7498 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

SSD is here so thought this article might be informative.
Notice concerns for XP Users.

http://www.computerworld.com/a.....geNumber=1

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks for posting it. Nicely written. But I would consider an SSD only for a laptop that is being slammed around a lot. For anything more or less stationary, the SSD's are still far too expensive - for a decent capacity you are talking the price of a whole laptop.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Totally agree concerning price.
Transition will be much like moving from CRT to LCD displays.
As more memory comes to market, the less expensive it will become.
Just a matter of time.
Right now, it is a new cutting edge idea.
Next year by this time, it will become almost standard for Laptops.
Then it will progress to mainstream desktops and towers as SSD capacity increases.
The simple physics of SSD storage will prevail in the end.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I was looking at this movie camera - Panasonic HDC-HS9 - it comes with a 60GB SSD. It is a superb camera with a Leica optics and 3 CMOS at a price of $689. So here one can already see a market penetration at a relatively reasonable price.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Yes, its time has come.
I purchased a my first Flash Stick (512MB) for $155 USD several years ago.
Have not looked lately, but imagine $155 USD in US will get one much greater capacity Flash Memory now.
Can't take advantage of the new products as now I'm a pensioner on fixed income.
The younger folks have a great future ahead in the world of affordable electronic products.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@rick with that $155 i'm pretty sure you can get 16gb's last time i checked it was around that range. and now the school that i'm going to just give away 512mb flash drives lol i have like 10 of them hehe

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Jack,

You nailed it !!!!
Exactly why I posted the article.
Remember the old "saying":
Some watch what's happening; some make things happen; and then some ask, what happened ????
Always strive to be in the "Make Things Happen" group !!!!

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Looks like you just missed Woot's Woot-off with the Kingston 8GB Flash drives at $18 each. Last I checked, 32GB flash sticks were running sub $120.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

looks like i'm a bit behind in my reading :D

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Chris,

May get even better by Christmas.
Because of "inventory glut" in memory chips world wide, some factories have shut down for awhile.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Budohorseman, What is Woot's Woot-off? An 8GB stick for $18 sounds good. I paid $36 in April for the same thing - and on black Friday 2007 a 512GB's ran for $15 which I thought was a deal. That only confirms Rick's theory - by christmas we will all be able to afford them. Even those that are on "fixed income".

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

A Woot-off is when they put up something at amazingly discounted prices and sell them till they are gone, then put up something new. So far today they have gone through those, two slim-line systems, 750GB Seagates, decent laptop, HD TV, and as of now an iPod video player. And I've missed a ton of stuff so far today....

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

And what company/outlet is that? CircuitCity, BestBuy or alike? Or is it on-line?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Sorry, I though everyone knew about Woot.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Thank you. But that is one thing I never heard of before - as a German I might be excused. But I will bookmark it right now.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Well I guess we can let it slide, but please tell me that you know about ThinkGeek!

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs was that a 512GB flash drive?

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

@jack, yes, a 512GB flash drive on black Friday 2007.
@Budohorseman, The THINK GEEK I had never seen either. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, like Jack, I am stunned by the awesome deal you got on that 512 GB flash drive! Simpletech expects their 512 GB flash drive to be around $1000 US by the year 2012, so $15 is an amazing discount!
http://www.engadget.com/2007/0.....sd-drives/

EDIT: I could only find one SimpleTech flash drive for sale. It's only 146 GB, though, and it's still not under the $15 price point. :-)
http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/.....FE3B-146UC

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Sorry, that was a typo - it should read MB not GB. But you, ScottW, had fun to pull my leg, right!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.