SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

How to install a FRESH copy of Win8 - no COA on laptop!

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LordX
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1082 times

LordX

Just got an ASUS laptop with win8.

I want to re-format it to get rid of all the bloat-ware and simply have a nice fresh virgin install.

Looked all over for a COA - none to be found.

I read that windows now uses SLP.

So what is my next step? If I get a Win8 ISO, it is going to want a key entered I am sure.

Also - the key used on the ASUS installation is likely a volume key for ASUS - and not necessarily a unique key. So would using this key even work?

Any tips from someone who has been through this would be great!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It would be illegal for Asus to sell product without furnishing the End User with a Genuine COA unless there has been a change in laws.

Therefore check with Asus concerning the issue.

If law has changed, please post a link for all.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I agree, there must be a COA sticker - unless you bought the PC second hand and someone removed it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Sometimes the sticker is located in the battery compartment if you do not see one on the bottom.

Posted 1 year ago

LordX

There are no COA stickers any longer with Windows 8.... a little google and you will confirm this. If you would like to know the answer to my question above (which I solved on my own with hours of forum reading) - then respond here and let me know!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/a.....is-missing

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

There is Most Certainly a COA on the packing box for the Windows 8 Pro edition I purchased from newegg.com.

Now with Windows 8 RT type machines, I have read that they have embed COAs in the Bios or in the recovery media.
No one is buying much of these anyway so not to worry.

When Windows Pro Intel type machines arrive, folks would be pure fools to purchase such a $1000 product which they could not install another operating system in - "be the first in your neighborhood to get ripped off".

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

http://7pmtech.com/topic/2362-.....ctivation/

Posted 1 year ago

meddlingnuisance
meddlingnuisance

Good on you, LordX, for solving the problem "all on your own", then not sharing the solution with the people you asked for help.

Posted 1 year ago

LordX

Meddling - I am more than willing to share my results - plus I did not claim to have come up with the results on my own - I just mentioned that it took me a while looking around on forums to find an answer.

You are definitely I nuisance though - so I am glad you mentioned that in your name.

StringJunky - that is a great method as well - however, it will not help techs who get an OEM system with a failed hard drive, and a customer who has no recovery media.

This is the solution I found - and I tested it in tonight - and it worked like a charm:

How to Get Windows 8 to clean install:

Get RWeverything @ rweverything.com

use rweverything to check your ACPI -> MSDM to find out what your key is

Replace or upgrade hard drive.

Clean Install with the SAME version that your OEM machine was installed with.

Once installed and into the OS - load an administrator CMD and use the command: slmgr /ipk [Product Key] to enter in the key you found using rweverything.

Once I did this - windows 8 automatically activated (must have checked the bios using slp3.0?) - there was no need to activate over the internet!

ALSO - You could technically replace the hard drive first, and after the clean install run rweverything (in the case you get a system with a dead hard drive). Just make sure that you install the version that came with the system!

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Where is ACPI > MSDM in that app...I can't see it?

Posted 1 year ago

LordX

Under Access - you can select ACPI Tables - or ACPI is one of the buttons along the top of the screen.

Once you click ACPI - MSDM is one of the sub-tabs that appears.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

No trick above, I been using this for years although not on OEM or Laptop machines.

http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....93433.aspx

@ Tony, BTW:
How to Reinstall Windows Without Having to Reactivate HTG Tutorial has been posted a long time also.
http://www.howtogeek.com/75496.....eactivate/

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

That's what I use Rick...for the last year anyway

Posted 1 year ago

LordX

raphoenix - you said that your laptop from newegg came with a coa on the packaging... not on the laptop itself? And did the coa contain the product key - or was it just a coa (like with office products)?

I got the Asus laptop that I ran the above experiment on from newegg as well.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

No I meant I purchased from newegg.com a copy of Windows 8 Pro OEM O/S which had the MS COA on the Packing Box of the DVD.

I also have MS COAs for Windows 8 Upgrade Download Media O/Ses which may be Clean Installed.

I'm a computer Builder and have never owned any OEM Pre-built Machines except for old IBM Personal Computer and a Commodore 64 back in the early 1980s.

Sorry for any confusion.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

LordX

Ah I see... lol

Of COURSE a copy that you buy as a system builder (or get for an upgrade) will have the COA - what the heck else would you use to install it??

Thanks for the clarification though.

For those of us who have to work on customers OEM machines - rweverything is a neat trick.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Customers would be foolish to purchase highly expensive electronic machines which they could not reset back to factory condition by themselves.

We are talking about Simple Laptops here and not complicated touring automobiles or factory robot machines.

MS is already "Skating on Thin Ice" with Windows 8 and if they go further to damage the product, their customers and the markets will speak.

Posted 1 year ago

LordX

Most customers cant figure out how to reset their systems as it is.. that is how we make money. :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Compare that to Android in e.g. the Nexus 7. I can reset to factory settings with 3 clicks (taps) plus 2 additional if I want to backup my stuff.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!