SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - How to hide tabs on the taskbar without closing the program?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by needshelp
  • Latest reply from needshelp
  • Topic Viewed 2868 times

needshelp
needshelp

So I want to be able to minimize a program, then turn the icon for it on the taskbar invisible(for lack of a better word) but still have the program running. Almost like it is running in the back ground.
Is this possible?

Posted 1 year ago

StokesleyLad
StokesleyLad

Hi, This may not be exactly what you want but it will hide the icons on the Task Bar.
Right click in an empty area of the Task Bar and a menu appears and select Properties. The Task Bar & Start Menu Properties will appear. On the first Tab named 'Task Bar' and second item down place a 'tick' in the box named 'Auto Hide the Task Bar'. Now click 'Apply' and OK to close. Your Task Bar will now be hidden but will appear when you move you cursor in the area of the Task Bar which allows you to perform whatever action you wish. However when finished and you move your cursor elsewhere - away from the Task Bar - the Task Bar will 'sink' below the visible area of your screen and also hide the icons thus leaving you with a freer area of screen.
Hope than helps.

Posted 1 year ago

needshelp
needshelp

Sorry, that's not quite what I had in mind. I still want the taskbar itself visible at all times.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Perhaps you could explain further your requirement, because what you are asking is pointless and inexplicable

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

needshelp
needshelp

I apologize for my not being clear. Also I don't know if its possible or not, that's why I'm asking. I'll try to be a clear as possible.

Upon opening a program, an icon appears on the taskbar. Can I make it so an icon does not appear on the taskbar, but the program is still open?

Posted 1 year ago

AdrianK-IT
AdrianK-IT

Have you thought about using a solution akin to the standard Linux model of having multiple desktops. I've never used it myself, but Dexpot is a Windows app that might achieve the equivalent of what you want, albeit in a roundabout way: http://dexpot.de/index.php?id=home
Or VirtuaWin: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/ (OpenSource; Dexpot is personal freeware)

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

needshelp
needshelp

HAHAHA! I love it! Absolutely roundabout but none the less still accomplishing my goal! Thanks so much AdrianK-IT!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!