• Latest reply from trahcwolf
  • Topic Viewed 56445 times

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

no the second

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Will have a look. I'm rushing around like a banshee on heat at the moment, so please bear with me

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

thats fine i don't need right away any way

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The way tray icons work is when a program that wants one runs it tells Windows Explorer to add an icon to notification area.
Also programs have to re add them when Windows Explorer crashes/closes and is restarted.
The are a few ways a programmer who know how could remove an icon:
1. Hack Windows Explorer to ignore the request for a new icon.
I have no idea how one would do that or if it's possible.
2. Have a program running in the background that intercepts requests to add icons and ignore some.
I have no idea how one would do that but I think it might be possible.
3. Have a program sit around checking for added icons to the notification area and removing some.
I there is some code to make an AutoIt3 script do this somewhere on the AutoIt forums.
Not sure where though. I'll have to check and see.

Note: To be clear, I'm talking about the taskbar part of Windows Explorer and not the desktop or file manager part.

Edit: I forgot to list above but of course the best way is to tell the program to not create a tray icon. Some programs give this option.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

OK, here it is. The answer that you have been waiting for. Backup your registry, then start regedit. Go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

create a new DWORD key called NoTrayItemsDisplay with a value of 0x01. Save changes. Log out of Windows and back in. Tray icons are gone, applications are still running. Works on XP (tried it) and Vista (haven't tried it). This key can also live in the HKLM hive -- your choice, I think.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you have gpedit.msc, you can make the change in there.
EDIT 2 (maybe 3 or 4, it's late): If you want your icons back, change the value to 0x0 or nuke the key.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@ScottW: That would remove all the tray icons from the taskbar. I think the original poster just wanted to remove one or a couple icons only, not all of them.
Also the hide taskbar icons will not do for some reason.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

jd, you're right. He did say "some" icons, not all. He also said hidden was not good enough. He is awfully picky, isn't he? He is also quite secretive since he won't tell us what he's trying to do, only that the ideas we have are all poop! I don't think he even has a question and he may just be playing a prank -- he is known for that.

He is a big, stupid, gradnabber and I, for one, am DONE HELPING HIM! If he even really needs help.

Sorry about the foul language.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

it is not a joke and i'm not really that picky i was just trying to see if it is possible. and also if you would have asked what it was for i would have told you so i don't really care if you help me or not but i thought it wouldn't be this hard of a thing to do so i guess i will just figure it out myself then

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@jack. I think it is possible. And I am sorry I haven't had a chance to go through it yet.
Could you post which icons you want hidden, and I'll get on it as soon as I can.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

jack, don't be dissuaded from posting any legitimate question you have. All the regular posters here have varying levels of patience but we insist on friendly replies, or no replies at all.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

jack, I was joking! Gotcha :-)

Sorry if it came across as if I were serious. I was hoping people would pick on the silliness of it all so I wouldn't have to pepper the post with emoticons and "jk"s. I mean, poop as foul language? The other thing isn't even a word, just made up. I call you a prankster while pulling my own prank. Maybe it was too subtle.

Looks like my attempt at humor fell flat. My bad. I will use more smiley's in the future. Back to topic....

Posted 6 years ago

trahcwolf
trahcwolf

I have just completed a full system reinstallation of Windows xp pro and sp2
I want to hide inactive icons.
Right click taskbar, select properties, hide inactive icons, customize, and so forth.
Looks good until restart.
They are back again with none of my settings in place.
I did click apply, etc.
Hard drive was thoroughly cleaned, scanned, defragged after reinstall.
Not usre why this is happening or how to make the changes I have applied stay.
Also the icons on the taskbar keep rearranging themselves, so they are not where I put them.....
(On reboot they are not where I last placed them I meant)
Any help appreciated.
Oh, and here's a new wrinkle...
When I go to customize, two of the items available to show or hide are
IE7Setup and 30 days left for activation.

Right after install I registered and activated XP, and IE7 is already setup...
???

Posted 5 years ago

trahcwolf
trahcwolf

I tried the registry hack and it looks good...
Just want to know if there's a way to permanently hide most
of the icons in the system tray without hiding all.

And, again, upon going to customize, two of the items available to show or hide are
IE7Setup and 30 days left for activation.
I have already registered and activated XP, and IE7 is already setup.
Are these situations related?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@trahcwolf: Are those listed under "Current Items" or "Past Items"? If they are under "Past Items" then there is nothing to worry about as the icons are just stored in a cache. There is an article on this site for clearing that cache if you want to.

Posted 5 years ago

trahcwolf
trahcwolf

There are items in Current Items as well as Past Items that I have changed to Always Hide which, upon reboot, continue to appear.
I am not "worried"about them, I just want these items that I have selected not to show to disappear as I instructed them to do...
As for clearing the cache of past items.....I will try to locate that...

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The article is at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/
It's for Vista. It works for XP too only the registry key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

trahcwolf
trahcwolf

Awesome! Thank you! Easy to follow, and the results were exactly as desired.
Very nice.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.