The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

How to get info from Windows 95 to XP

(6 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by KathyOfWauna
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 2319 times

KathyOfWauna

I backed up a special program from my old Windows 95 computer to a disc. Now I would like to add the W95 info to my Windows XP, but all I get is gibberish. Is there any way I can transfer and use this special program on XP? (I am not a geek, I'm your grandmother.)

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

Hello Grammy Kathy,

Can you tell us what the 'special' program is?

Grandson Scott :)

Posted 7 years ago

KathyOfWauna

Scotty dear, of course it is our genealogy information on "Family Tree Maker" and some other letters and lists of various items. All are on the disc backed up from W95 and it probably contains some other items, too.

Gram

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

Of course, I should have asked Auntie Mame!

A quick look at the FTM site possibly has the answer to your question:
http://ancestry.custhelp.com/c....._sid=MptT_*Ji&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTA5JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXdpbmRvd3MgOTU*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Just click the above link.

If you feel more comfortable speaking directly with the program authors, phone support is available:

Telephone Support

For issues pertaining to installation, converting data from a previous version of Family Tree Maker or accessing online subscriptions, call 877-FTM-2008 (877-386-2008). Live phone support is available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time, closed Saturday and Sunday.

Not sure about the "other items", what format are the originals in?

See you for Thanksgiving ;)

Scott

Posted 7 years ago

KathyOfWauna

Scotty -

Thank you! You've always been my favorite grandkid! The "others" on the disc were Word documents. Which football team will you cheer on Thanksgiving Day?

Gram

Posted 7 years ago

Scott

Grammy,

The Word docs should be compatible. Please let us know if you resolve your Ancestry question.

I have a masochistic gene so I root for the Jets (not that they play on Thanksgiving).

Hugs to all the kin,

Scott

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.