The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - how to fix low space on C drive

(24 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by SUZONKA
  • Latest reply from terfdg
  • Topic Viewed 3107 times

SUZONKA

I have IE9 windows vista home basic and a dell 531 inpiron how ever very low space on my C drive ,I read somewhere that you could cut and past programs from one C drive to the D drive to freee it up, now everything is all mixed up ,my system is working how ever I want to gain more disk space on C drive and put things back to normal, my computer works, I know nothing about indexing or changing files, Im a novice yet I pick up pretty good if its not to involved, is there an easy way in my control panel to fix this problem note* I have tried clean disk, nothing .

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

If you mean free up space via the Control Panel, not really. It takes some 'work' on your part, and some of it could cause some 'data' loss.

Since you have all the free space on D: and you're C: is *only* 10 GB's (which is AWFULLY small) I assume this is a single drive with 2 partitions. Also, you've NOT used it much?

Ah, you are the one that asked about the BLUE lettering on the files ...

So what have you actually DONE here? Did you make your old D: drive C:, and that was the RESTORE DRIVE from Dell? Since your present D: drive is named OS, it would assume so.

So, what did you do and what are you trying to do? I suspect you can't used the D: drive and dragging and dropping isn't going to work either. App have stuff spread all over the drive(s) usually, the actual program, some files in WINDOWS, PROGRAM FILES, PROGRAM DATA, and USER, as well as the Registry. Without getting them all copied over your chances of any program working is 'slim'. Re-install is the best way. Usually because you can't locate all the parts of the program.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

The easiest solution is to take space from D (I sugggest 20 to 40GB) and add it to C. But since D is to the right of C (I assume that is the case - check in Disk Management), you need Partition Wizard to free up space on the left side of the D partition.

Another option would be to backup all the data of D to an external drive. Then delete the D volume/partition and extend C. Create a new D from the rest of the space and restore the data that was backed up. All this can be done with the help of Disk Management.

Note: if you have no external drive, it could also be done with an extra partition on your disk. But that would also require the help of Partition Wizard because of the MFT which has to be moved.

Any other solution will not help because your C partition is really way too small from the outset.

Let us know which solution you want to persue and we'll give you step by step instructions.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

How about take an image of D: using a program like Macrium reflect. Then erase D: and add most of it to C: Create a new D: much smaller and restore the D: image.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Xhi, It would be much easier to just copy the data to an external drive. Since the OP says that he is a novice, the imaging step may be an extra challenge for him/her.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

Guys, you might have missed the point/problem here :

"cut and past programs from one C drive to the D drive to freee it up, now everything is all mixed up"

I'm not sure what the state of either drive is at this time. Cut and Paste could have removed some files.

Look at his other post to see the old state of the machine --> http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8

Everything was on D:. and Dell doesn't ship that as the boot drive.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Dragging and dropping system files is not the way to go about this problem. The C partition is too small - that is the basic problem. I wonder how that could have happened. I own a Dell Inspiron 530 myself and there is not such a problem.

I wonder whether the system is still working after all this dragging and dropping. Best is to wait for the OP to give us further info and espaecially a full picture of his Disk Management.

But in any case - his C partition has to be extended to a resonable size.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Looks like someone changed things. The D: is named OS and has the windows logo on it. Strange that Windows is on the other drive. Someone was messing around.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

How much space is FOUND.000 taking up ???? (lol)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Doesn't matter it's on the big drive.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Xhi, Right, I nearly missed that. Now we are really getting into quick sands. Dell has the habit of placing the bootmgr on the recovery partition - usually D. I wonder whether we are looking at such a configuration with the system on C but the bootmgr on D.

If that were a Win7 system, I would bet on it (because I own 2 Dell systems that came like that). But with Vista I am not sure.

Posted 2 years ago

SUZONKA

Thank you for all your help , it all started with a problem of 3of 3 % configuration would not complete, so I tried safe mode toggled F8 and in advanced set priority disk set up and did not fix it. so I have 4 disks that came with the inpiron 531 for a COMPLETE restore. 2 Dell blue in color disks an 2 greenish operating system and the other windows ,so didnt back up anything , and out of these 4 disks I didnt even know which one to intall first, so someone at a geek store said just use the operating sytem disk thats it forget the other 3 disks, so it restored, then it asked me for a password which I forgot so I started with a new administration ID name and password. OK that worked the restore went through, how ever it was only IE-7 verson on the disk so my updates started and in a few days it stopped at sevice pack 2 version IE-9 , then a message poped up low on disk space on c drive when I checked my proerties on the disks and notice it was full and a red line ran acrossed the bottom, so I went into ask ,com and some one said just click and cut from the c drive and drop it ino the D drive, I did this and did stop the error messages from poping up low disk space and Im running good disite of the low space on Cdrive, and thats where I'm at. I only have a flash drive with 500MB on it for back up, or should I restore it with all 4 disks from Dell in the right order , or I hope there is a much easyer way, like a friend said to make the min and max settings in vertual memory on the D drive to 1400 on top min and 1400 on the bottom max? I dont know thanks

Posted 2 years ago

whs

What a mess. It is amazing that this thing is still running - apparently from the D partition. But who knows what's really going on after this axing of the OS.

If I were you, I would buy an external disk and save my data to that (unless it fits on your mini USB stick). Then start from scratch with a new installation into a 40 or 50GB active primary partition. The rest of the disk space you can use for another partition.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

If I were you I'd forget about EVERYTHING on the system now, consider it lost.

I'd get a program that can re-build the disk structure. Get rid of BOTH partitions and create a SINGLE new one. Then use the BLUE DELL disks to install to C: which should now be 230GB's or so.

Don't use the MS OS disks, they might not have the proper DELL drivers, the DELL disks will.

I still don't know how you got the disks lettered in that order. It clearly is backwards, your C: should have been D: as that is the size for the Dell Restore partition. C: should have been what is now D:.

This is not a 'simple' task for someone that doesn't know DOS command and is familiar with doing this using command prompts. I wouldn't try or trust anything on the running system you have now to attempt messing with the disk structure.

A bootable setup like PARTED MAGIC would be great for this IF you can create the DVD from the d/l iso file. I did have some problems running this on my SSD, and had to GO HERE to get an earlier version, 6.2.

Once booted into this, you'll want to use GPARTED to do the disk work, details HERE.

Good luck.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

SUZONKA

ispalten
yes its a mess , but somehow its working , can I ask you a question about the the priorty order to see CD or CD Rom ,this was in advanced toggling F8 , could a change in those settings cause this disk C drive local and D drive OS switch? If I remember it was set 1 -CDRom -2 Harddrive, 3 -removable 4th- disabled

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Irv, blue Dell disks ? That is Dell media player, and drivers..Dell clean install disks are black, or brown (as far as I know)

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

@LH, you made me look. My system came with Vista, and there is NO OS disk per se. Just a PURPLE disk that says it is already installed on the system marker Operating System and only to be used to re-install the OS. There is a single BLACK DRIVERS AND UTILITIES disk as well, already installed. Not sure what the OP had?

@Suzonka, no, changing the boot order will NOT change the drive letters assigned. The OS does that. If you brought up DISK MANAGER and 'worked at it', you could have made the orignal C: another letter, then the D: to C: and the old C: to D: but I doubt you did that. I suspect the deed was done by you cut and paste. Must have picked that setting up. If you had done a COPY and PASTE, it might be possible using DISK MANAGER to reset that but you claim you did a CUT which makes it harder. Possibly doing the reverse now might put everything back, but I'd give up at this time and re-format after creating a single drive partition. Anything on that small partition (Dell's Recovery one) is probably lost.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Maybe different colours for different countries or something.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten

@LH, my 2 older Dell's came with different color disks, but both of those came with XP and had the 'official' MS hologram disks too. This XPS Studio 1 did not have the MS disk. May vary by country, model, and I recall in some systems (not Dell I think) you had to create the CD's (like my wife's HP) or pay an additional $15 or so to get the real disks?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Understand. In UK, all the Dells I (and my family and friends) have bought, came with full install disks, and another 5 or 6 crapware disks.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.