The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to find the info of a song that you don't know

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by crysisfreak
  • Latest reply from crysisfreak
  • Topic Viewed 5046 times

crysisfreak

i got some music from a friend but i don't know the info about the song so i don't know what i am about to play. i was wondering if you knew about any software that could somehow give me the info about the song. i have tried tunatic but you have to play the music fairly loud and it doesn't always work. If there is no solution to my problem, i understand.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Hi crysisfreak, I'm curious about this myself. May I ask the source of the music your friend gave you..cd, download ipod, etc? Also, what device are you playing the music on and do you have Vista, XP or portable device. I know that's a lot of questions, but it helps narrow down the solution.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

crysisfreak, I'm just guessing here that you are looking for some audio fingerprint software and services. See the following article at MusicBrainz.org's wiki:
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/AudioFingerprint

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

ScottW, does that work if someone gave you a cd of random songs and windows media center doesn't recognize it?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Granny, I haven't actually used any of this technology but audio fingerprinting sounds very cool.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Is there nothing in the Properties > Details, of each song, that tells you what it is ?

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Yes, it says "unknown". No big deal. I just thought there might be a way I don't know about.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Oma. Did you scroll right down to the bottom ?

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Yes. We're spinning our wheels here. I'm pretty sure these songs were transferred from old record albums onto cd. I don't see how anything short of "psychic" software could detect the artists and titles:)

Do you have anything for crysisfreak?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066

I'm not sure exactly how but from looking at the link ScottW posted, it appears MusicBrainz Audio Finderprint may be able to find the song info.
From what I can tell the software analyses the audio in the music file and generates a signatue based on that. It then checks that signature with a database of signatures to Artist/Title entries.

Posted 5 years ago

crysisfreak

My friend let me copy all the music to a dvd from his hard drive. and some of the songs don't have any info

Posted 5 years ago

crysisfreak

this my be illegal, but its free music. who can pass up an opportunity like that.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.