SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How To - Dual Monitors on HP m9040n - Help!

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ayemac
  • Latest reply from adamr1001
  • Topic Viewed 5455 times

ayemac

For the most part, I know how to set up dual or even tri monitors on a PC. I recently picked up an HP m9040n with Vista Home Premium (let the bashing begin). It has a "Dual-Link DVI," but I physically it only has one DVI out. It has an HDMI next to it, so I imagine that's where the "dual" comes from.

It also has a VGA port that's integrated, but it had a black, plastic cap on it. I removed it, adjusted the bios, and can get it to work successfully. However, I can only get one or the other to work - not both.

Thoughts? I'm here waiting...

Thanks in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Re bashing: Actually on this forum most users recognize that Windows Vista is a good OS and better then Windows XP so there isn't any bashing here.

Re question: Sorry to bring bad news but Dual Link DVI has nothing to do with Dual Monitors.
Dual Link DVI is just DVI plus Extra Connectors to power high resolution displays like 30 inch and higher size screens.

Posted 6 years ago

ayemac

Ahhhh, good to know re: teh dual-link. Even HP couldn't tell me that. Go figure.

Re: Vista, I'm cool with it. As with any OS (or ANYTHING, for that matter), it just takes time to adapt to change. I've found little nuances here and there that I don't care for or mark down to change, but overall it's fairly slick.

So, back to the dual monitors - I've configured many PCs with add-in cards and integrated video for dual monitor support. That being said, I'm stuck on this one. I simply can't seem to find a viable solution to get both to work. I believe the m9040n has PCI-Express. Is there a chance that PCI-E overrides bios settings so that if you select that option it basically nullifies the use of integrated? That's the only thing I can think of since the capped the integrated in the first place.

I can post what my bios options are if it helps any. Right now I'm stuck.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i'm not sure that you can hook up two monitors to that card i will try to see what i can find though

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

this might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600.

pulled from here http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Ok, I just reread the posts on this topic a few times to see what I was missing as you didn't list a graphics card. I think I figured it out.
It appears you are using an integrated graphics card with a VGA output, a DVI output and a HDMI output.
You want want to hook one monitor to the VGA output and one monitor to the DVI output which cannot be done.
The reason for the multiple outputs is just to have options for plugging one 1 monitor has there can be different connectors for different monitor types and you can't use them at the same time.
You need to either add another graphics card to add another monitor to the system.
Or get a dual head graphics card that has two outputs for doing dual monitors.

Posted 6 years ago

jayce

jd2066, you're wrong - it is definitely possible to have one monitor hooked into a VGA port and another hooked into a DVI port on a single graphics adapter and have them function simultaneously. It doesn't apply here, however, as this desktop has integrated graphics in addition to an nVidia geforce 8400 gs which provides the HDMI and DVI connectors. The reason you can't use both here is that windows vista (specifically the Aero graphics component) wants you to use a single driver to drive all your monitors[1], as opposed to previous versions of windows which allowed you to just add another video card and run multiple drivers in parallel. So you may as well just buy a decent video card with dual DVI outputs (but make sure you upgrade the power supply as well esp. if you're going with a high-output gaming graphics card). Either that or you can go backwards with windows (XP is already threatened with end-of-life, so it obviously doesn't make sense to go much further back than that) or sideways with Linux and wait a bit for the drivers to catch up (drivers are out there, but seem to be problematic for a lot of users, specifically Ubuntu nerds).

Hope this helps,

//jawn

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/.....Vista.mspx

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@jayce: I think you misunderstood part of my post. I know you can have a VGA port and DVI port both in use but not usually with an integrated card which was what I was listing.
As for the machine having two cards then you are right. HP's web site doesn't seem to be clear on that so I didn't know it was two cards when I wrote that.

Posted 6 years ago

adamr1001

hey ayemac,

i'm having the same problem now - any solutions with out-of-box setup of the m9040n?

thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.