The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - how to download a shared video on facebook

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 1316 times

LarrySr

A friend of mine put up a video on facebook and asked me to share it on my wall. I did this. Now; is there any way I can download this video to my PC and then burn it to CD?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

LarrySr, check here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-facebook/

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

if you are using Firefox install add on called Fast Video Download. It will grab videos from web pages and download them.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

I looked at Fast Video Download but it downloads in a non standard format. You then have to install another player to view the video. I want to be able to burn it to CD so I can give it to anyone who can then put it in their PC" CD and have it play. If Facebook is starting to roll out an option that will allow you to do a video download then I guess I will just have to wait for that option to come to my account.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

vlc media player will play it. That's why I am an open source supporter. Windows built in software sometimes locks you in to certain formats. Experience freedom from Microsoft making decisions for you. There is a whole, wonderful world beyond Microsoft proprietary products!

You can also use open source software to convert the format to "standard" my way or the highway Windows format.

http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

I just checked 4 shared videos on facebook, 2 from Ubuntu linux and 2 from windows 8. All four had the option to download in mp4 format. I believe FVD will download the video in whatever format it is on the web page. By non standard format are you referring to flv format? VLC will play that. Miro video converter will convert it to mp4.

Posted 1 year ago

LarrySr

What I am looking for is a way to download the video, burn it to a CD, be able to give that CD to anyone who has a PC that is running Windows and they are able to just put it in their computer and have it run. I don't want to download and then have to convert it so that anyone can run it. I know it is possible to download it install a piece of software and then view it. Or download it and convert it but that is not what I am looking for. I thank you all for finding many ways I can get around the problem but it does not solve the task I am working on.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

You can't download it as a different format than how it is posted on the web. It is what it is. If you want to distribute it and it is on a web site as an .flv then you are going to download it as an .flv and convert it. Or tell your friends to use VLC media player to open the CD.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/1.....-internet/

There are some web services that can convert the video for you in the above link.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.