The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How to disconnect vista from a shared resource

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by lommer
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 7600 times

lommer

Hi, I have set up a Debian samba fileserver on my network, and I have a vista computer that needs to connect to it. The samba server has a couple different shares with different logins/passwords for each. When accessing one, vista prompts for the l/p as expected and it works fine. However, after accessing one share, attempting to access another share gives another l/p prompt (expected) but then refuses access:

"Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

The question is, how does one disconnect from a shared resource? Rebooting or logging out + back in achieves this, but there should be an easier way to disconnect so that I can go ahead and access a different share.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

If you are mapping a drive, you can simple right-click / disconnect it. If you are accessing via a UNC path, then you can use the net use command to delete that share, something like this:

net use /delete \\servername\share

As a general rule, you should setup access so that the same user/pass can access all the necessary shares on the same server. Anything else and you'll have issues, especially with samba.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!