SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

How to: Delete The Windows.old Folder...

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by JHubbard92
  • Latest reply from JHubbard92
  • Topic Viewed 11274 times

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

When performing a "Custom Install" of Windows 7 / Windows Vista, any files from the previous version of Windows which was already installed will be stored in a Windows.old folder.

The Windows.old file is automatically generated when "Custom Installing" Windows 7/Vista. For example, if I had Windows Vista and clean install Windows 7, all the old Windows Vista files will be stored in a Windows.old file located at:

X:\Windows.old

This file will be huge, because it stores everything from a previous version of Windows. So if you have backed up all your documents etc, you may wish to delete it, but it is not as easy to delete as you think.

NOTE: Copy any files that you want out of the Windows.old folder before you delete it, you can only do this while logged on to an admin account.

If you would like to delete the Windows.old folder, try the following...

================================================================================

Disk Cleanup...

1. Click Start, in the search box type without quotes "disk cleanup" and hit enter.

2. Select the drive / partition which Windows Vista / 7 is installed on. ( See image Below)

3. It will quickly scan your computer. Then it will display a window like the one below. You need to click "Clean up system files". If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes. (See image below)

4. It will again ask you to select the OS and scan your computer. (See image below)

5. Make sure "Previous windows installations" is ticked and click Ok. (See image below)

6. Click delete files. (See image below)

7. Windows.old should now be deleted.

================================================================================

Sometimes the contents of Windows.old will be gone, but the folder and some subfolders is still there and undeleteable, because it "Cannot be found".
If this is the case, try the following...

1. Click Start, in the search box type in without quotes "cmd" and hit enter.

2. Type in....

rd /s /q c:\windows.old

and hit enter.

3. The directory should now be gone.

Hope this helps anyone with this problem, I enountered the same problems, this is why I wrote this How to. Feel free to link to this How to from the forums.

Jordan

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

I am sure that these steps will help someone. I have added to my favorites :)

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

Cheers :-)

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Very good Jordan. I took the liberty to copy the procedure for future use. I hope you don`t mind. That is easier than having to Google it.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Great work, Jordan!
Thanks for posting:)

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

@Sarah

@whs

What do you mean copy procedure, I don't mind what ever it is, copy away :P .... I just do not understand ;D

Jordan

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

Jordan, you are reading more into it than I was trying to say. I meant the "procedure" - or if you want so "approach" that you propose for the deletion of windows.old. And by "copy" I meant that I copied your posting. That`s all.

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

Sorry whs, do understand now, sure, feel free to. ;D

Posted 4 years ago

AKRAM2009

thanks and very good

Posted 4 years ago

PISCES

Yessssssssssssssss. this REALLY WORKS, I have been trying to remove Windows. old from my C Drive for months, without any results. Thanks so much for this information.
PISCES

Posted 4 years ago

JHubbard92
JHubbard92

No problem PISCES, happy to help :-)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.