SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

how to delete the folders but save the files?

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by innovar
  • Latest reply from bamsan
  • Topic Viewed 1070 times

innovar

I have about 20,000 photos in 600 folders.I would like to delete the folders but leave the files intact...including any duplicate files.When I am finished I would have all the photos in one big collection with no folder structure.Is it possible to do this.I have Windows XP

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Why would you want to do that?
Not only is it a bad idea organizationally, having 20,000 files in one folder can potentiality cause Windows Explorer to be really slow and even crash while browsing the folder.

Posted 6 years ago

RJNJC
RJNJC

It is possible. The only way I can think off is having to move all the files manually and then deleting the empty folders.

But like jd2066, I would strongly advise you not to do it. You are opening yourself up to a lot of problems later on.

It would be of interest to know the reasoning behind you wanting 20000 files in one folder?
Is it for a specific purpose?

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Since I see that you have those photos organised quite well within folders, can I suggest that you create shortcuts to those photos instead and put them together into one folder? If some nasty things happen to the big pool, your actual files will not affected directly

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!