How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How to delete 'source file name(s) are larger than is ...'

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by RickFiggis
  • Latest reply from RickFiggis
  • Topic Viewed 17326 times

RickFiggis
RickFiggis

Trying to delete contents of windows.old, OK so far but cannot delete Contacts file - get message 'The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system'. In fact every time I have tried to delete Contacts folder, another has appeared. I now have 26 Contacts folders, all empty and of 0 bytes.
How can I delete these files?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Much as I hate to say this. Try deleting the Windows.old folder using Windows Disk Cleanup. Be careful what boxes you check.

Posted 6 years ago

RickFiggis
RickFiggis

Tried Windows Disk Cleanup - unfortunately it failed to work reporting 'Disk Space Cleanup Manager has stopped working' and a report has been sent looking for a solution ... any other ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Umm..sounds like you're are infected with something!
Try this first
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-in-vista/
and delete the folders

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You should also consider running a full checkdisk scan of your drive... it could be that the folder you are trying to delete is corrupted and won't delete because of that.

Posted 6 years ago

RickFiggis
RickFiggis

OK, I 'took ownership' of the file(s), tried to delete them and was unable to. I ran checkdisk - not sure of the result, but no faults were reported, tried to delete again and was unable to. Contacts folder now contains 45 contacts folders, total size 0 bytes.
Have made some progress (of a kind). Dragged Contacts folder onto desktop and deleted Windows.old OK. I now have Contacts folder (from Windows.old file) on the desktop it is 0 bytes, contains 45 folders called 'contacts' and I am unable to delete it. Is there some way I can render it invisible as it is of no use to me and apparently has no size?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can you delete the individual subfolders?

Edit. Also try using this. It has an uncanny knack of being able to delete folders when windows can't.
http://www.freecommander.com/

Posted 6 years ago

RickFiggis
RickFiggis

I tried freecommander - interesting utility but didn't help.
I was able to delete the files one at a time by dragging them out, but when I got to the last one, 26 new ones were created! I have now decided to bury the Contacts file where I'm unlikely to find it as it has no size or purpose other to wind me up! There doesn't seem to be an infection as the PC is going great and the antivirus/antimalware scanner I have hasn't found anything to report.
So thanks for your input, but let's call it a day.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!