SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - How to Create Direct Link..??

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by HooKaa
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 350 times

HooKaa

Hello Friends.
I have windows server 2008 r2.I want to share some large files with my friend.Is there any way to create direct link from server[No filesharing site] so that my friend can download with good speed.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

FTP Server is one way, other is a 'cloud' file hosting site.

Hosting site would be easiest. FTP Server requires you to set it up, allow specific p/w access, and if you are behind a router, set the router to allow access to your computer.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

HooKaa

Can u please tell me the steps to upload files on ftp and sharing through it.

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Try Dropbox.
Upload the file in your public folder, right click, and click 'copy public link'. That would be the direct download link of the file.

If you need dropbox, please use this link (mods, I hope you don't mind me doing so!)
http://db.tt/crfTIba

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Not hard, but it takes some work... as well as getting an FTP Server, knowing how to allow remote access to your computer, easier IF you have a FIXED IP address, otherwise you need an service, like DNS.ORG that re-directs via them to your computer, and if you have a router, passthru to the proper computer must be set.

Check HERE for some instructions.

A 'file repository' on the web IS the easiest, but if you have a very LARGE file, you might not be able to find a FREE one.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.