The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

How to create a Windows 8 system repair disc

(15 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 5281 times

Straspey

I have yet to even try Windows 8 - although I'm looking forward to doing so.

However, over on ghacks, Martin Brinkman has written an article providing a step-by-step procedure, along with some useful graphics, regarding how to create a system repair disk for Windows 8, which others here might find useful and informative.

"How to create a Windows 8 system repair disc

Windows 8 ships with options to create a system repair disc from within the operating system just like previous versions of Microsoft Windows did. What you need to know before you get started is that you can only create a system repair disc for the operating system version you are using. If you are running a 32-bit version, you can only create a disc that is compatible with 32-bit versions of the operating system.

The system repair disc can be used to boot into a recovery environment in situations where the Windows 8 operating system is not booting anymore."

Read the full article here:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/.....pair-disc/

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

I've just installed Windows 8 after getting it for €30. Personally I didn't bother creating a System repair disc, I installed Windows 8 and configured it to my liking and installed all the apps I need plus ran updates for all. Then I created a Image of the Hard Drive onto a Separate Hard Drive using Acronis True Image 2011, this way if something goes belly up it only takes about 10 mins to restore my system with everything installed :)
I have been using Windows 7 and always re-image every month, will be doing the same with Windows 8

Actually enjoying Windows 8 so far although when I installed it first didn't really like the Start Screen and missed the Start Button, but actually when you spend some time configuring it, it's actually quite good, well so far anyway. :)

Posted 2 years ago

whs

gedstar, that's the way to go. An image is a lot more convenient for a reinstallation than a recovery disc.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

gedstar, you are clearly one of the 'enlightened'. ;) I wish more people would realise that imaging is the nearest thing to a magic bullet for most pc software problems.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Just an update on my Windows 8 experience, last night got the my first BSOD, well it's actually different from the normal BSOD's you get with other Microsoft OS's, it's actually quite humorous, you get the blue screen with a SAD face and an error message, just put this down to a once off. Actually happened after a reboot. Well after rebooting Windows 8 again tonight got the dreaded BSOD again. Reboots and work fine again, but couldn't really depend on Windows 8 at the moment.
Not sure what is causing this, could be a driver incompatibility, although I did download the latest drivers for all my hardware and updated all my software.
Needless to say I re-imaged my PC back to Windows 7, Thank Buddha for the Image I created before installing Windows 8. I think the OS still contains some bugs that need to be ironed out, so will hang on until there's an SP1 out at least, never had any such issues with Windows 7 with the same PC.
Wonder if any other people have experienced these BSOD's in Windows 8 yet?

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

Acronis 2010 is not compatible, at least I cannot get it to work with Win8 PRO. However, whs has uploaded an iso of Macrium reflect and it works flawlessly. A BIG shout-out to whs, completely altruistic post man!

Macrium reflect ISO and related forum postings

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Hi Fhirkin9

What I did with Acronis 2011 was to create a bootable USB key from a Windows 7 PC and boot from that to create the image, it works fine that way. You can even verify the image after completion. I was able to create a Win8 Pro image that way without any issue.

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

So I take it that Acronis 2011 would not install on the Win8 PC itself? Just trying to figure out if both Acronis 2010 and 2011 need to use the methods you mentioned..... I do consider my imaging and back-up situation as completely solved, with Macrium, but am interested in your Acronis strategy.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

Hi Fhirkin9

I already had a bootable USB key made when I had Acronis 2011 installed on my Windows 7 PC, basically there's an option in the software itself to create bootable media, you can either choose a CD or USB key as the media.
Once the bootable media is created you can then change the boot options to boot from which ever media you created. Hence no need to have it installed on Window 8, this way you are actually taking an image of the partition so Acronis doesn't really care what OS it's imaging.

Hope that makes sense.

P.S. Didn't even try to install on Windows 8 no need to

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Here's another free one that supports Windows 8
http://www.paragon-software.co.....tures.html

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

Thanks gedstar, I understand now. Sounds like Your USB setup works the same way as the Macrium solution. Glad I didn't toss the Acronis 2011 DVD when I was faced with the faulty install on Win8!

Posted 2 years ago

whs

@Fhirkin9, I am glad you could make good use of the WinPE.iso. I think it is really handy and completely independent of the OS - especially if that goes on the blink.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

whs

Your disk would give me more confidence to use Linux Mint again since I could reimage if it goes up the Swanee! I can't fix Linux like I can Windows.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

I have imaged Linux with Macrium - but only in a Virtual Box virtual partition. You could try the WinPE disc on a real Linux installation. Would be nice if you could report the result.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Will do when I do it. :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.