SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - How to copy and run installed programs from win7 to win8 consumer preview

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by franco
  • Latest reply from Veegertx
  • Topic Viewed 1974 times

franco
franco

is there any easy way for that or I have got a new idea for developing such kind of software =D

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You always have to install programs on a different operating system. Simply copying them will not work if they have any involvemant in the registry or other parts of the operating system.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Installation of other programs will have to be done from scratch because they will need the setup .exe file.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

I backup my programs using a method utilizing RunOnceEx. Each separate program will do and modify certain things like registry, file or files or an entire folder. You have to track changes and see what each does. Still have to install a program and then run all those things used with it.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

This may work, although it doesn't mention W8,
http://pickmeapp.com/pickmeapp
I have not yet tested it.

Posted 1 year ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

During PickMeApp installations, our co-bundle partner, InstallMonetizer may suggest to install an interesting and reliable software from well known software vendors such as yada yada

uhh no thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You don't have to install the extras.

Posted 1 year ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

I don't like junkware. Have to watch them carefully to make sure they don't turn on the mess

Posted 1 year ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

lol almost bad as MS
Had to install .Net 4 to look at the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) to build me a Recovery dvd for uefi system
awhile later

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!