SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to connect the laptop to an another monitor display?

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by georgelaljohn
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 2127 times

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Please someone guide me how to connect a monitor to my laptop and see the display in the monitor. Please guide me.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Just plug it in. Then right click on the desktop > Personalize > Display settings => There you can set it up (now that is in Vista).

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

My display is not working properly .To find out whether its a hardware or software problem only i need to connect a monitor.So how do i configure it without the laptop display. To which port should i connect to? to VGA out?

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

either VGA(blue) or DVI(white), whichever you have on your laptop, I recommend DVI if you can. Also after you plug it in, if there's no screen you can hold the blue FN button and push the blue LCD-Monitor(usually on the top left of the keyboard) button until it shows on the monitor, once you get there you can play with the settings

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

I have the VGA blue one. So i just have to connect the monitor and using the Fn key i can change the display. There is no other changes i need to do?

Posted 6 years ago

JKay
JKay

Well the FN (function) just allows the keyboard to have more buttons withough putting extra keys on there, kinda like the *shift* key, you need to find the key that has LCD-Monitor written in blue (it might be the "1" key, or the "~" key if I remember correctly) and then hold the FN down and push the LCD-Monitor key and it should switch between the displays connected to the computer

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

On my keyboard it's the F4 key, so you have to use Fn + F4 to switch the display.

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

k I will try it out.Thanks a lot!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

BTW. On mine it's Fn + F8 (with "CRT/LCD") written on it.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!