SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to Clone a Small SSD to a Larger SSD?

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by kzinti1
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1700 times

kzinti1
kzinti1

My current 256GB SSD is almost full. I want to clone it to a Larger SSD. What's the proper procedure?
With the prices of SSD's falling, this is a problem that more people will be facing every day.
My Samsung 840 Series 500GB SSD's cost around $319.00 each.
That's almost exactly 64 cents per GB, which I consider a steal!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Depends how simple you want to do it;

1. There is a $20 Paragon program that does it in 3 clicks: http://www.paragon-software.co.....OS-to-SSD/

2. There is the 'manual' procedure for which I have written this tutorial: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ystem.html

Posted 1 year ago

kzinti1
kzinti1

Then the easiest way is simply to unplug the original SSD, install the new, larger one, reinstall Windows, update it, then reinstall all the drivers?
Afterwards, reinstall the original SSD, then drag and drop all the other files from it onto the new SSD?
Doesn't Win 7 Pro automatically align a new SSD on install, and all I have to do is create an OS partition during install?
I'm not trying to steal a Windows OS, which appears to be the procedure to do so that you've described. I buy a new install disk along with every motherboard I purchase. Then tape the disk to the back of the mobo tray-side cover for safekeeping and not confuse one disks authorization/activation code with another.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

What a nuisance to buy a new OS with a new disk. You can transfer your current OS to the new SSD - that is completely legal as long as it is on the same system.

But if you rather do it the hard way, then reinstall and go thru all the trouble you described. And yes, the installer aligns so do some imaging programs and the Paragon tool.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

You can drag the files, but there are 'connections' that you might have problems dragging over. Registry entries for instance and some other files as well possibly.

Cloning is the way to go. Some 'image' programs will restore to different h/w, both type and size as well.

I guess you could install the OS and then copy everything over, but like I said, you are not going to be able to replace some open files, usually system, but thinks like A/V's and F/W's will modify them sometimes.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Personally, I would go with whs's suggestion of Paragon. I've used it twice on two difference ssd's and two difference OS's. One 32 bit and one 64 bit and it works great.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Absolutely, I have used it at least 10 times and it always worked. The people from my computer club always came to me when they got a new SSD. I had become kind of an SSD service center. But the tool never failed. And you cannot beat the ease of use.

Only once I had a problem. But that turned out that the SSD was bricked. When we exchanged it, everything was fine.

Posted 1 year ago

kzinti1
kzinti1

I bought the Paragon program. The lack of instructions that came with it is upsetting, to say the least.
Does this program do as I asked in the OP?
I want to migrate/clone, the entire contents of my C: drive onto a new, larger SSD. Not just the OS, which I said I could do with the original Windows CD.
I want to migrate/clone every single file, folder, program and setting to the new SSD.
The Paragon program mentions just the OS.
What now? It appears I've completely wasted $30.00 counting the backup CD.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

The paragon utility is pretty simple even with the limited instructions. It will clone everything on your existing SSD or HDD to a new SSD.
Every single app,file program and setting will be cloned. That's what cloning is basically duplicating.
I have used it and it works so you really did not waste your $30.00 unless you want to waste a day installing all your new O/S, all the windows updates, all your apps.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I have done it with MacriumReflect Free from a 64GB to a 128GB. Works just fine. Why was that solution not proposed?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Macrium was the first thing I proposed - see my link in my first post.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Sorry, I did not read your tutorial. Not being a purist I simply hooked the new drive up, did the Macrium clone, and unhooked the old drive and voila. It has worked fine for months now.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Xhi, that is an OK approach and if you are lucky, Macrium will even align your SSD. But it is safer to first define an aligned partition into which to dump the image. And then there is the problem with the 100MB system partition. A lot of people forget that. That's why I always first copy the bootmgr to C. Then you can forget about the 100MB partition.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!