How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How to check the Cpu temp?

(19 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by georgelaljohn
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 12822 times

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

I am having a Dell XPS m1330 .I would like to check my CPU and GPU temperature. Also whether my fan is working. IS there any software which could be used to detect this. Also tell what are the normal temp of the Gpu and Cpu when idle. I am having a CORE 2 DUO T7500 2.20GHZ, 800, 4Mb cache CPU and a 128 MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400M GS GPU. Please help me out .Urgent

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

For the CPU core temp. This works
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Could u tell me the temp range for the above Cpu and Gpu at idle condition.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

It really depends on your system... what are your readings?

My Core2Quad seems to average around 40C

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

The chipsets come with temperature specs. But I found that this does not neccessarily mean much. Figure that anything below 70 degrees Celsius is OK. The Core Temp program will only measure your CPU cores. I don't think you get the GPU measured that way. When the little core temp window comes up, minimize it and the readings are in your notification area next to the clock. I suggest to change the display colors to something light (white/yellow) because the red is hard to read. You can do that in OPTIONS > SYSTEM TRAY SETUP

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Will the Cpu temp be higher than Gpu temperature? mine is around 65C

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I just see the Geeks posting. But there you have it already. I have the same CPU as the Geek and my readings are closer to 50C. He probably has better fans because he built it himself and I have to put up with what Dell gave me.

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Is there any software to get the GPU temperatures too.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I have heard of programs like Everest and Riva Tuner, but I have never used those myself.

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Will they provide the Gpu temp?

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Could u also tell me the average temp for the Gpu and CPu i have mentioned in the first post.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Please read The Geeks post above. And if you know your GPU temp, why are you asking for s/w to tell you what is is?

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

what i had mentioned in the other post is regarding my processor type and Gpu type and not the temp.
All i need a s/w which could measure both the core temp. As simple as that.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

georgelaljohn, I think you worry too much about those temps. If your system is not full of dust and the fan is working (that you should hear), the temperature will be controlled. And should the CPU get too hot, the system will shut off and you get a nice blue screen. Then it is time to apply compressed air.

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

why i am worry so much is that it is this temp caused my graphics card to fail. I am gettin a mother board replaced. So i need to check these temp with new mother board and check whether its normal. Hope now u must have under stood.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Understand, but if you get the mobo replaced, you might want to invest a few more dollars for a better fan.

Posted 6 years ago

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Is it possible to do so? Can i increase the fan speed?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

You can increase your fan speed with SpeedFan, http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php , but do so at your own risk.

Sceeenshots found here, http://www.almico.com/sfscreenshots.php

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What is the temperature of my CPU? That is a question with a very long answer. The very long answer is here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/fo.....ture-guide

The short answer is it depends. It depends on the ambient air temp, the CPU's fabrication process, which DTS sensor you are reading, what tool you are reading it with and so on. We know from previous discussions that CoreTemp returns AMD CPU temps as below ambient, which is impossible with air cooling. So, how can we trust this tool? CoreTemp reads 37,37,35,34C for my Q6600. Of course my system is basically idling and I have EIST enabled. There are just too many variables.

You can pick another tool and get another answer. SpeedFan does temps, RealTemp does temps and both of them can be calibrated. Based on the guide linked above, you should probably use SpeedFan just for the sake of comparison purposes. Also, the guide gives temp ranges for C2D and C2Q procs. It's all very confusing. I suggest that you pick one tool and use it as a baseline. Then evaluate your readings as deltas from there.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!