SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

How to change Microsoft Word 2007 Icon in Taskbar, its in 2D..

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by vinaysrinath
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 11510 times

vinaysrinath

How to change Microsoft Word 2007 Icon in Taskbar, its in 2 Dimensional. The
format is icon - Filename - Microsoft word.
The same in Microsoft Excel 2007 icon in taskbar is 3 dimensional & the
format is icon - Microsoft Excel - Filename.
Microsoft Powerpoint icon in taskbar is also 3 dimensional.

I want to change the icon in taskbar for Microsoft Word to 3 dimensional. Is
there any way to do this ?
Please provide the steps for the same

is there some registry setting that I need to change to see the same behavior
as Excel and powerpoint. it should be possible as its happening correctly in
excel and powerpoint.

Posted 5 years ago

absurd

Since I have installed Windows 7, I changed some icons. All you basically have to do is search for an icon at www.iconfinder.net you like and download the .ICO-file. Go to your original word-file (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.exe), right click and choose for Copy to Desktop (shortcut). After that's done, go to your desktop, right click the file and choose properties. Change icon and browse to the downloaded .ICOfile. Click ok. Then drag it to the taskbar.

That's how I did it for Windows7.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Hmm, mine didn't change when I upgraded?

Following Absurd's instructions (the program name is WINWORD.EXE but in a different location in a 64 bit version, basically on PROGRAM FILES (x86)) I was able to open the properties and get to CHANGE ICON. There are over a dozen icons there, maybe all you need do is select one of these?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

vinaysrinath

Ok I think the query is misunderstood.. I am NOT asking for the icon in quicklaunch in the taskbar. What i am asking is that when you open a word document , you will see the document in the taskbar, with the applications Icon, in this case microsoft word. Now here, this icon is in 2D, where as if you open a document in excel or powerpoint , the document has a icon in 3D which office 2007 gives. This behavior is only for Word.. I have uploaded a screen shot showing the behavior..

http://www.turboupload.com/n2j.....2.jpg.html
Click on download, and you can see the image..

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

OK, I think what you are seeing is the DOCUMENT's icon, not Word's.

Are you defaulting to DOCX or DOC extension? However, when I opened both, the icons are the same?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

vinaysrinath

Yes , but the documents icon in Excel and powerpoint, when only one document is open is in 3D.. the same is not true for Word.. and even if only one document is open, it shows it in 2D. Any way to change this.. so that word also shows in 3D when one document is open.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I can't locate it, but I'm sure it is somehow attached to the document?

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I located THIS LINK which will allow you to do it, but it looked like a lot of trouble to me.

Irv

Posted 5 years ago

vinaysrinath

Actually i am using Windows XP, and I was able to change the icon for the file type in Folders> File types. But this changed the icon in the windows explorer . This did not change anything when the word document is opened and the icon is still in 2D in the taskbar for the document.

Posted 5 years ago

vinaysrinath

Problem is not yet solved.. any more pointers ..

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I've got nothing else? Best guess is somewhere in the registry is a link to what opens up on the taskbar when you open a program? I just don't know where that is? The icon itself is probably within the EXE but under Win7 I can't even change the program icon? It seems for all other programs I can though via the properties, but not for Office programs? Guess this is because of the way it is installed? If I fro drag the program from its folder to the desktop and create a shortcut there, I can change the icon, but it doesn't change what goes on the taskbar? I'd guess that MS has hardwired this or it has to be located in the registry. Hardwired is tougher to find. Somewhere in the exe is a pointer to the icon in the exe to use I guess?

I've got a program, Filealyzer2, you can get it here, and it shows all the icons under PE Resources and the name is RT_ICON in the program with a number for each icon. With this info and a lot of work and a binary editor you might be able to patch the program to show what you want.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.