The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

How-to build a website

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Ugoogle
  • Latest reply from abhishek99
  • Topic Viewed 3923 times

Ugoogle

Hi guys, I'm following how-to geek's forum &newsletter and I find it very useful.

I'm passionate about new media, internet and cool services that are usually reviewed by mystic geek. I'd like to do my own.

I have some ideas, but I'm absolutely newbie in programming / developing etc..

Question is: where can I start?

I'd need some tutorials on html writing, servers & web functions etc. My aim is to create a site in which people can contribute & create contents (think about facebook, even if it's not that big.. ; ) )

Thanks for anybody who's willing to take time to help.

Bye!
Ugo

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ugoogle,
Suggest looking at these sites for information.
http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp
http://register.com
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Ugoogle

Raphoenix, thanks a lot, I'll surely study that.

What about "languages"? Is there any one I should prefer, and what are the characteristics they have? I'm looking for people-maintained web-sites (Wiki, Facebook, Youtube), how are they built, only html or java/flash etc?

Hear you soon
Ugo

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ugoogle,
---
The Links down the left side of the page are pretty much in the order of how you should begin learning.
---
Don't forget you will have to learn about Hardware and Low Level Programming also.
---
Tis a Life Long Learning Experience on which you are about to embark on.
---
http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

One of the most popular languages today is C++. This tutorial is very good for learning it, plus, it also teaches you the basics of programming. And as Rick said, you are embarquing in a life long venture. I wrote my first program in 1958 and was in software all my life - and still don't know a lot - LOL.

Posted 4 years ago

Ugoogle

Uau.. I think I'll need a looooooot of time to do what I'd like to.. thanks for the tips

Posted 4 years ago

Rainy
Rainy

If you want to build a website without a lot of study go to my website

A child can build a site by following the instructions www.imaworthlessspammer.dum

Posted 4 years ago

redfred1

I think building a website is easier than ever before using blog software. I had asked Server Intellect my host which Blog/cms they support. They tech told me Graffiti CMS is pretty easy cms to use. I had them install it and I was running in 3 minutes. From there you can install some themes and start building. No need to start from scratch. Wordpress is another good CMS to use. I think starting with a blog software helps people first understand what they want for their site and saves them time.

Posted 4 years ago

lukeocom
lukeocom

Learning web technologies is easy compared to learning or for some even understanding C++. If you want to get into programming your own sites then a few technologies to get under your belt would be HTML, CSS as a base, then PHP, .NET, C#, JSP, XML, XSLT as your other options. If you just want to design pages rather than tinker around with code then look at EZGenerator, its an awesome program to design pages and makes it easy to upload and manage ur domain. I Highly reccomend it. Facebook type fourums are something you would most likely have to pay someone to do for you, or to have inserted into your site. Generic forums can be purchased to embed in your site which take out ALL the hassle of doing it yourself. And if you have no clue about developing sites then it will take you a loooong time to figure out how to deploy your own forum. Hope this helps..

Posted 4 years ago

lukeocom
lukeocom

Oh, I highly reccomend W3Schools also, awesome site.

Posted 4 years ago

abhishek99

You can use some scripts if you want..

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!