The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

How to be an admin in windows 8?

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sonisapanhotmailcom
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 2066 times

sonisapanhotmailcom

hello every one please anyone can tell me how can I get all admin rights in windows 8?
although I am admin of my pc but still sometime windows ask for admin rights.
I got this problem when I was edting host file

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

sonisapanhotmailcom, hi.

Was this an upgrade: Info Here>>>>>

Also our article Here>>>>>

may help

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs

There is a difference between being an Admin and elevated rights. E.g in Command Prompt, you can only operate with elevated rights. You get those by running command prompt as admin and then you are under the control of the UAC - which means you have to enter your password (if any) in order to proceed.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Ya that's why I prefer Windows 7 because Windows 8 won't let one run in Administrator Mode so causes many extra steps to do anything.

I was a "Fanboy" of 8 until it got to be such a pain in the rear to do even the most simplistic of tasks.

Windows 8 reminds me of sitting behind an old Terminal in the 1980s.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Rick, sure you can run in elevated mode in Windows 8. What do you want to run. E.g. for cmd it is dead simple.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

If you run as the Built-in Administrator Account as I've always done, I haven't found a way to make the Start Screen items run.

May be you could post a Tip as to making the Start Screen Items run while in the Built-in Administrator Account.

Would be helpful to me for sure.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I am not sure I understand. Why would you want to run start screen items in elevated mode. I have such things as Wordpad, Movie Maker, Paint, One Note, etc. on the start screen. None of those require elevated mode. The only one that does is Command Prompt. And that is very easy in Windows 8 too.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Yes, right mouse button on the Live Tile for the program you want to elevate and on the bottom ribbon that opens usually the 2nd from the right (not counting the far right which is All Apps) is Run As Administrator. Click that and off you go to the Desktop with it running as Administrator.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Example of Messages I Get.

"This App Can't Open
Weather can't be opened using the Build-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again."

Then if I Log in with a regular account, have to use Run As Administrator with even desk top items like Disk Cleanup for program to actually cleanup.

I've probably got something set wrong as I never have to click Run As in Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

A Weather app is not a Desktop Windows app, it is a STORE APP... those can not and do not need to be run as Admin. Some ALSO require you to be signed in with an MS Logon ID (Live Modern Tiles, not Desktop icons that appear on the Start Screen.

Check your e-mail please for examples.

That message though you show I think appears when you are not using a registered Store account?

BTW, I use a FREEBIE that does a good and decent job emulating the W7 Start Orb... was free a few days ago on GiveAwayOfTheDay's site. All I do is select the Desktop tile on the Start Screen when I want to use the desktop and that allows me to do what I would have done in W7.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Rick, for your error message, try THIS, REMEMBER, Google is your friend <VBG>

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

That Worked for the Live Tiles !! :) :)

However I still can't get FULL Permissions on all Executables, Objects, Files and Folders in Desktop Mode as
The Built-in Administrator.

There's still something I'm missing in Windows 8. :( :(

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

BUMP

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

Rick, some people in the US do sleep you know <VBG>.

Define 'on all Executibles, ...' please? Never could get that on Objects and folders, and non-exe files except BAT and CMD files, VBS, MSI, etc.. Are Objects what you mean for Icons? Actually the word 'all' throws me, do you mean EVERY or SOME?

Which Administrator are you talking about, the standard Administrator or the hidden one when you run the system?

Have you tried Ctrl + Shift + Enter and does that work on the items?

What IS your UAC set too?

Have you run SFC lately?

HERE is all the ways to run as Admin, do ANY of them work?

Does ANY of THESE methods to run CMD.EXE as an Administrator work?

Make SURE the Administrator account is ENABLED.

Can you run the HIDDEN ADMINISTRATOR?

Bump back to you...

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

I don't think you understand.

On windows 7 System I only have TWO Profiles.
1. The HIDDEN BUILT-IN Administrator Account (ENABLED)
2. The HIDDEN BUILT-IN Guest Account (DISABLED)

I AUTO log in as the Administrator with a blank password and have configured the System to do anything I want.
I NEVER have to right click menu to Run as Administrator or get an Access Denied message or Take Ownership.

------------------

I want to run Windows 8 the SAME way.

Obliviously I need more knowledge and books...

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Rick, you are complicating your life. The only program that you normally need to run as admin is cmd. And that you can pin to the taskbar as elevated version (from All Programs). And if there is another program that needs elevated rights, do the same. For 99% of the programs you need no elevated rights.

But if you want to run like in Win7, then do like me - stay on Win7. I have not used Win8 in weeks.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I run my UserID as an Administrator. Occasionally I'll set some apps to run as the same or the CMD prompt. Never bothered me. On RARE occasions, usually to set some setting somewhere I do have to run the hidden one, but not often. Doing so really opens you up to significant damage if you ever get a virus or let someone in via a backdoor. Consider changing how you operate.

I think the root of your problem is that you are NOT running in the GROUP of ADMINISTRATORS. That might be the cause? I do think you can add your ID to that group which might fix your problem, not sure? Look at the PERMISSIONS, ADVANCED for your C: and also USERS and see what group you are in and the access you do get?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.