The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - How To Backup Rainmeter

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Guidez
  • Latest reply from Guidez
  • Topic Viewed 4034 times

Guidez

I have set up all my skins and layouts just the way I want them, and I'd like to backup everything, in case something happens or one day I get a new computer and have to transfer everything over. I went on the rainmeter website, but there's no topic on backing up.

What do I have to do? Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

See,
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=44

Posted 1 year ago

Guidez

That doesn't help me understand anything at all..

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

The body of you question?

!I have set up all my skins and layouts just the way I want them, and I'd like to backup everything, in case something happens or one day I get a new computer and have to transfer everything over. I went on the rainmeter website, but there's no topic on backing up.!

Lighthouse gave you the answer, backup as an image, you are then protected for when things go wrong.

Read that post and understand the point.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

While you can make an image backup of your computer's current configuration very easily with Macrium Reflect which will put everything back on your computer should there be a failure, it will not carry over to a completely different computer. There is no good way to do that for any software let alone the complexities you describe. On a new computer the software and add-ons would have to be installed again from scratch only the data could be saved and resurrected.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ Guidez - there is probably a folder in Appdata called Rainmeter. Mostly your settings will be saved in an ini file and I'd back up any skins you have installed(the install package you installed them with).
I don't use Rainmeter myself, so I can't be more specific. Have a look yourself and if you can't find it I'll give rainmeter a testrun in the weekend and see what I can find out.

p.s. It's never a bad idea to keep an image of your system in case of emergency and Macrium does a wonderfull job;)

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Guidez, I'm sure you're referring to the layout of the skins. If yes, do 2 things:

1. Backup all the customizations you've installed (they'll be in the rainmeter folder).
2. Take a screenshot of your desktop and save it. Now you can set up the same configuration on any other PC (just try to arrange the skins in the same way).

EDIT: Scratch that, this might help: http://rainmeter.net/forum/vie.....#38;t=4620
and this: http://rainmeter.net/forum/vie.....#38;t=8266

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It is also possible that a .dll has been added or changed. Thus a full image backup is advisable. We would all advise it anyway.

Posted 1 year ago

Guidez

It is unbelievably impractical to image your entire drive/computer just to backup a couple files... And if I get a new computer, that doesn't help me at all.

Now thanks to sarahjames, I actually found that folder, so I'll just copy it over to a backup drive. Thanks :)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Disagree with you on one point. You said if you get a new computer. If you don't and you have a failure the image backup would be well worth it.

Posted 1 year ago

Guidez

Still not the point. I asked this question to find a practical solution. Imaging your whole drive for this purpose (backup up a folder) is not reasonable.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!