How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

how to automatically shut down one program

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by kwisj
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 605 times

kwisj

Hi
is there any free ware so that I can automatically shut down a particular program with a timer. I have an xray camera program and when we forget to turn it off, the next day we have to turn off the PC to get it to work. So if I could program it to turn off at the end of the day that would solve a lot of problems.
Cheers
Kwisj

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Take a look here. You can set various kinds of criteria (e.g. after so many minutes or hours or after a period of low activity, etc.) to trigger a shut down.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Another that should work is THIS PROGRAM, but you still have to know WHAT TO KILL.

Actually, rather than having to re-boot you probably could have used Task Manager and END the process/program/service(s) required by the app and then start it again.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

you can simply use the Task scheduler in your windows and create a new task with the needs that you want.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

@scorpion99, how would you do that with task scheduler? I looked in Windows 7 Task Scheduler and there wasn't an option to stop a program. Has it changed since XP? Just curios :)

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

Taskkill.exe from within task scheduler. See here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/fo.....-scehduler

Posted 1 year ago

Carolinaeliz

Well an extremely simple but very inelegant solution would be to combine Task Scheduler with pv.exe

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

@doctordeere, oh okay that's helpful, thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.