SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

How to add/merge several txt files (.csv) in one single excel file?

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by KnightMare
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1788 times

KnightMare

Hi Gurus,

I have hundreds of txt files (in fact, they are .csv files). When I import one txt file to excel, it opens me a Wizard and I can easily put the values separated by commas in the excel spreadsheet. If have have to open all files, It will take me several days so I'd like to do it using a batch or any other faster solution.

I'd like to know if there is a way to make this boring and time-consuming process automatically. I want to create a worksheet for each txt file in the same excel file. Any ideas?

If not possible in one sigle excel file, then at least in several excel files (one excel file for each txt) but automaticaly !

Thanks in advanced !

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

KnightMare,
Welcome to The HTG Forums.
I think someone else ask a similar question awhile back.
Believe my answer was to create a macro to do the process.
Might take a while but could be easier and faster in the long run than doing the process one by one.
Since you are familiar with Excel, take a look at that solution.
Also, if you set up all CSV files correctly AND set up the Excel fields properly, it is possible to IMPORT the data in one shot. That is another solution to think about but takes preparation.
Only you know the structure of the files you are working with so it will be up to you to do the coding.
Send me the files and I'll write the conversion for you for a modest $125 bucks an hour (LOL) (LOL).
Just Kidding - Good Luck.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.