How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - How long do HDD's last???

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Assassin2050
  • Latest reply from Assassin2050
  • Topic Viewed 831 times

Assassin2050
Assassin2050

I'm searching a good 500gb or 1TB gb Hard drive (HDD) and all Im seeing is that the majority of comments and posts on the site are people saying DOA DOA DOA!!! and that Didn't last over 1 year...and All these stuff....I Just want a good hard drive dammit! A true one could last up to 5/6 years unless your very excessive with it (Copying and lots of using everyday)...I mean my main HDD which came with my computer which i'm using now, is still working fine with windows 7 and programs since 2008! Sure somethings might of happened temporarily to it and I lost all my stuff and had to reinstall windows but never died out fully since I got it...my second one for storage died after 3years something probably.....Replaced it with a WD Blue 500gb 16mb cache one since almost 9 months ago I believe....It worked fine..but im scared if soon it will just die on me like many say died around 1 year or 1 year and a half...But so far its pefecto :) And when I get my new build for storage im hopping to get another of the same I have now (WD Blue 500GB)..Just too many worries with all these DOAs and weird problems.. Help anyone? :/

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I think you are asking a question to which there is no definitive answer. Mostly opinions which you have already looked at.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

PUNKS the Forum almost daily.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Rick, Just realized that is your build a computer buddy. LOL

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yeah Joe, OP needs to move on and argue with others. He will be Banned shortly if continues to Spam Forum.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Maybe just lonely.

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

I've had HDDs last 5 minutes, I've had some last 5 years. I've never owned a Western Digital that lasted longer then 9 months though. EVER

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

MTBF= Mean Time Between Failure. (As Specified By the Manufacturer)

Can figure out with statistics the probability or chance of your hard drive failure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68-95-99.7_rule
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.....buted_data

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Thanks Rick, Finally an easy solution.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://static.usenix.org/event.....index.html

(LOL) :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.newyorkcomputerhelp.....ard-drive/

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

:) :)

Posted 1 year ago

Assassin2050
Assassin2050

I'm Sorry did someone say that if I continue to spam I will be banned? Was that intended to me? If so then I'm speechless. I'm not spamming Im posting concerns and questions about different parts of hardware sheesh. If not then good :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

Assassin2050
Assassin2050

I simply need more links of Hard drives on newegg.ca or whatever which you guys KNOW is trustable unlike the WD with all those complaints.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have never had a WD fail, and I'm running them for upto 7 years now. Had plenty of Maxtors, and Seagates arrive dead on my doorstep. My Panasonic still works fine after nearly 20 years.

Posted 1 year ago

Assassin2050
Assassin2050

I see, so for you WD is good and Panasonic. Well after some more research Im probably gonna stick with getting a Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 16mb cache. How does that sound to you? Right now I have it on this computer and it works perfectly so far since about 8-11 Months ago when I installed it.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

WD or Samsung is my choice. And the blue sounds good.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Assassin2050
Assassin2050

Kk thanks, I hope it will last atleast a well 3 years of storage :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!