The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How GREAT is Vista?

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by maanojrakhit
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1432 times

maanojrakhit

I was enthused by Geek's wonderful write-up on Windows 7 that I received today. Attempted download but failed. It wasn't any surprise because others too had failed downloading it. So I wonder if it is worth the trouble? These are my reasons if anyone can react.

With an AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 4000+ machine with 2GB RAM I find Windows Mail and Contacts responses extremely slow on Vista SP1. Certainly slower than my good old XP Pro on a P4 256MB RAM machine with Outlook Express and Address book.

Actually I have been thinking of going back to XP and only reason I am delaying my decision is that I have to spend again and I am not sure if to buy XP Home instead of Pro? Vista looks to be such a waste of time and money. But then there both kinds - those who love it and those who hate it. Can someone offer some sane advice? That's all I am looking for.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Vista is not an appliance like XP. You have to live with it every day. If you do simple things (mail, internet, pictures, Word), it will serve you well with little attention. For more advanced applications you have to dig a little deeper. I have lived with it for 2 years now and I love it. But I also have the machines suitable for it - I think that makes a difference. On the other hand, I do not tweak the system. That's what gets you mostly into trouble. A few early attempts to tweak all turned out to be a shot in the knee.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Vista is very great :D
Unless you want to grind your head against a brick wall however, I suggest 2Gb RAM or more

I have had Vista for just over a year, and now I dislike XP! (well, not dislike, just wish the computer in use had vista)

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i agree, if you have the computer to run vista, there's no reason to use xp. i even chose ubuntu over xp on my first build. when i get on other people's computer running xp i think of how slow and boring it really is. after 2 years i still haven't seen an xp computer faster than a vista. it's just make believe.
xp is fine if you have an old dumpy computer and really don't care what your screen looks like. i like eye candy, graphics, big screens, dual monitors, etc. vista fits how i do things, i watch cable tv on one monitor from wmc while i'm surfing online or running several other programs on the other monitor. i'm not a gamer, but i built this computer to be over clocked out the a$$, the default settings run extremely well. after 2 years i'm still finding things vista can do. also, when windows 7 comes out, i'll move on to that. i don't hang on to things except socks. i have some pretty old socks in my drawer...
@ aleeve, i dislike xp :P

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

The ONLY thing I don't like about Vista is startup/shut down speeds.Other than a couple of minor annoyances,it's great,once you get use to it! I Started with 95, then went to XP and now have Vista.Vista is safer and more stable than the other two.Tom

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

mine takes a while to shut down sometimes. usually if i've been doing video type things. it's really bad when i take commercials out of shows with lifextender or burning dvd's

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Oz-From the time I hit shut down until fully down is almost always 85-95 seconds.From start-up till fully ready is even longer.Much longer than XP but I would think to be expected. Tom

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@0z, @elpaelpa,
Think some of the shutdown time can be decreased with Registry Tweaks but since I don't have Vista, can't tell you which keys and values to change. :(

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

Rick-There was a link I followed that described the best way to increase SD/SU speeds but I don't remember where it came from (HTG or otherwise).Followed the instruction and it may have knocked-off 10 sec.-tops (reduce number of start-up programs and trim logon screen time were two items).

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Well at least you admit it and don't why away and make feeble excuses like me ozspitt :D

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

elpaelpa,
shutdown time in access of 30 seconds is rubbish.
i suggest you try going to this site http://forum.notebookreview.co.....p?t=166532
it will help u get your startup and shutdown time to a minimum. my shutdown time is 5 seconds while my startup time is about 50-60 secs

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

my start up is the opposite, my shut down verys by what i'm doing but i rarely even restart. i'm thinking that video programs take a while to shut down
@ aleeve, lol

Posted 5 years ago

elpaelpa
elpaelpa

drifta-90 sec shutdowns aren't ownly rubbish, they're frustrating.Thanks for the tips. Tom

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

If you close all windows before shutdown, that helps too. Then there is also this tweak that the Geek wrote.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.