The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

How far back do you read posts?

(19 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by srjames
  • Latest reply from srjames
  • Topic Viewed 2017 times

srjames

Just wondering if only the latest posts are read and answered, and what would be a reasonable amt of time to allow for assistance? I posted something 12+ hours ago in the online forum and I got one response requesting add'l info (which I provided). Should I repost my request?

Thank you...srjames

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

It varies greatly. It depends what people are on the Forum at that time, how obvious the answer is, how many other things are going on, etc. I suggest you just "bump" the thread - just make a reply yourself in the thread in question with the word "bump" - that's all it takes to get back to the head of the queue.

Posted 5 years ago

srjames

Thank you so much. I'll try that. I hope I do it right. (I'm a "forum virgin" - but I can follow directions!)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I am sure you will do it right. If you don't like the word "bump", put anything else in, like "where are you lazy Geeks" or whatever you like. But a new reply, even if it is from yourself, will get you to the head of the queue.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Saw OP posting late last evening.

Large issue.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, can you give me the URL. I don't recall this particular post.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....s-internet

Click on the link, "Member", beneath the posters name to find the list of threads started. New members have so few that it's easy to find one.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

srjames is asking a legitimate question. I asked the same question, on this very forum, (a long time ago).

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

LH, it is a legitimate question. To be honest, I almost never look past the first page unless it's a slow day. So, I would suggest that a poster bump if they haven't gotten a response after a day or if their post is pushed off the forum's front page.

My preference is that a poster add more details to their problem description, rather than say "bump" or calling us lazy. I know whs was joking about the lazy part, but a new member should avoid the possibility of insulting people they are asking for help from. BTW, I see that srjames did what I suggested and added more detail to her thread. Not bad, for a virgin. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Finally, somebody who doesn't get an answer but is being polite about it!
Props to you srjames :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

It's hard to make a joke with you guys.

ScottW. Of course I know how to find postings at the "member" page. But the minute I made the post for Rick, it did not occur to me. Things are really going downhill.

Regarding the "aging" of posts it would help, if there were a "next page" button on the All Forums page.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The next page button is a good idea. I should see how easily that is doable.

Posted 5 years ago

srjames

@The Geek: Have you forgotten about this? Mind you, I'm not trying to nag you, though maybe a little nudge :). I personally hate to bump (bump-shyness). It seems so obtrusive - maybe even offensive. (I wouldn't even feel comfortable jumping in someone's post to comment or ask a question, but I understand that's what folks do in a forum.) And I wonder if a next page button were installed, your mod(s) would get fewer threads posted in duplicates or triplicates to delete - or better yet, somewhat irate, anxious, impatient posters wondering if anybody's home... :o

Respectfully submitted/srjames

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I haven't forgotten exactly... it's sitting on a todo list =)

I think you are right about the next page button.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Also, who knew it would take me all of 2 minutes to add that feature.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@srjames, well done for asking about this, it´s a good new feature. Don´t be shy jumping in on posts if you have answers. If everyone did that this forum wouldn´t exist because nobody would be getting answered, lol. I only have limited knowledge in certain areas of computing and know what you mean by not wanting to JUMP in but if it´s only a little help it´s better than none!!

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

One important thing to note is that even with a next page button there may be more posts then someone has time to answer.
For example for the last week I have been busy fixing peoples computers around town so I haven't had time to answer many posts.
5 People needed computer help and 2 of those people's computers are still in the basement waiting for me to finish working on them.
And if that wasn't enough, I think my desktop computer's hard drive is failing. I heard clicking sounds coming from the drive and 3 drive test tools I run from UBCD all hung in the middle. I can still access some files but I'm not sure for how long.

Posted 5 years ago

fastbullet

geek,

While you are here and while we are off topic anyway, there is another suggestion I wish to make.
When I am done adding this comment and post it, it would be very convenient to have a button that would return me to the forums page, instead of having to return to the top and then hit the back arrow. Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Posted 5 years ago

srjames

@Geek: What a surprise to see the next button when I logged on - and it only took two minutes! I was really expecting the post to go "off the radar/into the sunset" because I know folks are busy...Thank you for taking the time to do it.

@jd2066: I was going to mention that in the post b/c it was actually a post that you responded to where the poster said that there were 22 views but no replies, and proceeded to question your IQs. Your response was diplomatic and informative, and made me realize how much that next button was needed. True, patience is a virtue, and not always the easiest thing to practice when an essential tool is down or barely functioning, but folks also need to realize that you all have other responsibilities outside of this forum - and that this is a service that you guys provide out of the goodness of your heart. I hope your computer gets well soon. :) And thanks for your help with my computer issues.

Here's to your big hearts! Thank you for all you do...Sherry

Oh, and @madmacs, thanks for the encouragement to participate. Computerese is not one of my strong points, but I'm willing to learn. I think for now, I'll stick to asking questions. Maybe one day...

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.