The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

How Do you protect Your Ubuntu System?

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from linux
  • Topic Viewed 729 times

gregoryshock125

As a windows user I feel naked using Ubuntu. How does one protect Himself from Viruses and Malware on the internet? What are the things that exploit Ubuntu? Are there any exploits in one Distro that isn't in others?

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49

Hi Greg,

Generally with any distro of linux you shouldn't have to worry about anything because the file format are different than Windows because of this, there is a slight risk if any of having Viruses or Malware. but nothing to worry about.

John

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

The only things you need concern yourself about are rootkits. You can install chkrootkit and rkhunter to scan for rootkits. The other danger is social engineering or getting tricked into giving your personal info or root access to your system. Other than these two things you need not worry as malware will not run on a linux file system currently because they are all written for NTFS or windows.

You want to really feel naked? You will not experience defragmentation on a linux file system. No need to waste hours letting your hard disk defrag.

For your reading:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

Posted 1 year ago

linux

I suppose there are viruses and malware for linux, but as noted above, it's probably a very small risk. I've run Ubuntu for probably 5 years and never had a problem. I will say to become knowledgeable about open ports though. Ubuntu comes with a firewall and all incoming ports closed, but there are tools to open them as needed. The first will probably be 22 for SSH (Secure Shell) which you'll use to network into from an outside machine. For myself, I make it a little harder and reassign the listening port to something other than 22, like 12345, as I've had hackers try automated scripts to guess my user name and password on 22. And of course, use decent passwords.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.