SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How do you know what Cas Latency your ram have?

(66 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by chris
  • Latest reply from chris
  • Topic Viewed 13682 times

chris

i got a laptop... out of nowhere my brother bought me one... oh well.. oh yea.. by the way.. lower the cas latency the better... right? so for example cas latency 3 is better than cas latency 6.. right?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Right

Posted 6 years ago

chris

why is that?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Chris, Why your question. You asked whether 3 is better than 6 .. right? -- and I said "right!" to confirm. Where is your problem?

Posted 6 years ago

chris

because i don't get how cas latency work

Posted 6 years ago

chris

Ah.. i have another question... I was looking at rams and i realized that the memory that i'm using right now uses 1.8Voltage... Will it have any problems if i get a 2-2.2 Voltage ram?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Chris,

Thousands of articles like this on net.
This is an old old one.
Let me see if can find something Better than below which will easily explain your questions.
http://www.dewassoc.com/perfor.....atency.htm
This one is a little BETTER.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26
This is a Good One
http://www.tomshardware.com/re.....,1236.html
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Chris, "because i don't get how cas latency work" - typing "cas latency" into the google field should not be too much asked, even for a laze like you. But for the last time I give you a link because you are my friend. Next time you are going to do it yourself - OK?

Posted 6 years ago

chris

whs... i did research it... but i still didn't get it before.. jeez...whs...

Posted 6 years ago

whs

OK, I'll make it easy for you. I assume you use the Internet Explorer. I want you to download and install the IE Spell Checker. That will do the following for you:
1. If you are not sure of a word's spelling, you highlight the word and right click on it. That will open a little context window where you can click on "Spell Check". This will come back with either OK or it will give you a list of possible correct words with which you can replace your word.
2. If you want to know what something that you do not understand means, you also have the options of lookup in the Webster or lookup in Wikipedia. When you click on one of those, the webpage explaining the word or expression comes up. This way you are sure you get to the right explanation.
Now go and install that. It will make your life easier.

Posted 6 years ago

JadeEmperor

wow, really slow day. can't believe i followed all the threads of whs and chris. it's like watching Harold and Kumar having a discussion! :-)

no offense guys!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Life is tough - isn't it?

Posted 6 years ago

chris

i had another question. I was looking at rams and i realized that the memory that i'm using right now uses 1.8Voltage... Will it have any problems if i get a 2-2.2 Voltage ram?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

chris,

Most builder machines have a Bios that one can change memory voltage.
Most OEM machines do (not) have this feature.
ENSURE the memory you purchase is rated for the voltage that is specified for your machine.
As you tighten up the CAS, RAS and Latency timings, sometimes the memory modules need a small up-tick in voltage to perform well.
If your machine memory voltage is regulated to 1.8 volts, the memory modules you purchase MUST be rated and (Guaranteed) to perform at 1.8 volts.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

chris

ahh... really... hm... that sucks then... man so i can't get a memory that runs with 2.0 volt... tx.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Chris,

Would (NOT) chance it at all.
HOWEVER THE GOOD NEWS IS; If you just change your memory timings without making other modifications to your machine, you will (never) notice a difference in your machine's performance.
Builder machines are built from the ground up, so to speak, with many differences besides just different memory modules so don't worry about the memory you already have.

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

chris

what do you mean... the memory that i have right now sucks... i have 2 slots that have 256mb each and my computer's maximum capacity of memory is 4G's... i was going to get 1 stick of new ram that has 1gig and i bet it will make a huge difference in my computer's performance...

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

chris,

I assumed you had adequate memory for your machine since your questions have only concerned memory timings.

The simple solution for upgrading your machine's memory capacity is to purchase MATCHED memory modules (Sticks) of the capacity you want with the (same) memory timings that you have now which are guaranteed to run at 1.8 volts which also appears to be the memory voltage your machine is regulated for.
You are by NO means doomed to never upgrade your memory capacity.
It is just matter of searching and finding the correct memory modules that are compatible with your machine.
If you post the make and model number of your machine plus the results from the CPU-Z program, we will help you search for and give some suggested memory modules which should work.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 6 years ago

chris

raphoenix... you are awsome... thank you... man... but i'm kind of disappointed that i have to purchase MATCHED memory modules (sticks) ... dang it...so i guess i can't get a GOOD memory... well.. my model for my current memory is:
Module size: 256 MBytes
Max Bandwidth: PC-2-3200 (200MHz)
Manufacturer: Hyundai Electronics
Part Number: HYMP532U64P6-E3

Frequency: 200MHz / 200MHz / 200MHz
CAS# Latency: 3.0 / 4.0 / 5.0
RAS# to CAS#: 3 / 3 / 3
RAS# Precharge: 3 / 3 / 3
tRAS: 8 / 8 / 8
tRC: 11 / 11 / 11
Voltage: 1.8V / 1.8V / 1.8V

if you need more information... just ask me anything...

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Chris,

Please provide Make and (Exact) Model Number of the machine which contains memory.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.