SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How do you get Windows Updater to Retry Updates?

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 2902 times

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

After you have some updates that fail, how do you convince the windows updater to retry?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

There are times when you just do not bother with updates, especially with vista.

You do not need most of them anyway but if you feel the need the update one at a time.

The fails do not really mean your system is at fault BTW.

Update security by all means, anything else put on hold

mike

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I'm sorry Mike :( I don't think you entirely understand my question. I have some security updates that need to be re installed cause they failed the first time. How do I get them? We are talking something like 20 -30 different updates that failed. I think you will agree with me, that is an awful lot to install just one at a time. (I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just format my hard drive and start all over)

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

First I would clean up your update history. To do this, open C:\ windows\ then scroll down to "software distribution" and delete it. A box will pop up, click
continue, after deleted restart your computer. After restart, open windows update, it will be red and say you've never updated. Click on "check for updates" and you will get all failed updates.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I'm not sure if this problem is solved or not.

Ronniesonora - When I did that I got the red, and it said I never updated. However when I clicked on update it only found one optional update.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

gregoryshock125, if the updates failed they would show up again. Just try it awhile and see what it does.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I made a back up of "Software Distibution"

I put the Machine into safe mode and then I deleted "software distribution"

Every updated I get is "optional" And every update since May 2nd installed Successfully. However, it does not appear that Windows Wants to go back and retrieve the old updates that failed. Maybe since I have Service Packs 1 and 2 installed, maybe it doesn't need those?

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

Deleting "Software Distribution" does not delete any updates. It only cleans out your update history. Once you use (check for update) "Software Distribution" will reappear. Like I said before, if the updates failed and did not install they would show up. So maybe they did install after all. If you know what some of failed updates are--Open Programs & Features and in the upper left corner click on "view installed updates" and see if they are there.

Posted 2 years ago

gregoryshock125
gregoryshock125

I tried that, it appears that they are not there. (I can't speak for all of them not being there, but the ones I looked for isn't there) My current theory is since service packs 1 and 2 installed, those updates are no longer needed. And that's why windows keeps skipping over them. Is there anyway to test this theory? Like an article, or website that has a list of updates included in service packs 1 and 2? Note: All new updates I've obtain now, are successful.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

Tomorrow is update day and you should be getting some important ones. See how it goes then. If there's several I wouldn't update them all at once. Maybe one or two at a time.

Posted 2 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

You can also search for any updates that failed here.... http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

If the updates are prior to the Service packs they are no longer needed and will not be updated further.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!