SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How Do you Clone your Hard Disk to an Image file.

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gregoryshock125
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 414 times

gregoryshock125

I realize that when most people clone a hard disk, they are making an exact copy of everything to another hard disk. But In my case, I want to make an exact copy to an Image file. My reason is, I don't have an extra empty hard drive laying around to make a complete back up of this nature. In the past I used Nortons Ghost but the last time I used it, it was a complete flop.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Try this. If you give more details of what exactly you want to do, I may be able to give you more tips.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125

History:

I haven't backed up a hard disk / operating system in a long time. The Last time was back in 2003. When I first started backing up stuff, I used pkzip in dos. I was able expand a compression over multiple diskettes. All I had to do is unzip them to the hard drive and then use the sys command to put on the dos system files, reboot the machine and I was done. The first time I heard of Norton's Ghost I was in electronics class. Someone had Imaged Windows 98 to a CD. We used that to put Windows 98 on some computers. When I made my first Windows Me computer I decided to use to Norton's Ghost to Image to some CDs. On my very first try I was able to expand it onto some CDs, and Bring it back! But in 2006 I decided to try this with a Windows XP system. I had a Bart PE boot disc with some tools. If I remember right it was Windows 2003 with Norton's Ghost. I set it to Maximum Compression / Expand Image over Multiple CDs. The oddest thing happened. It burned a little narrow line into a CD, and then ask for another Disc. This went on for about a hundred discs and it took all day to do it. By the time I got done, I have nothing. It was then and there I decided never to use Norton's Ghost again.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125

@ WHS All I need to do is Image 50.9 GB to a 500 gig External Hard Disk without destroying any of the 57.3 GB Contents. This means I could fit a 50 something Gig Image file into a space of 408 Gig of Free Space.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

That is an interesting history. But what do you want to do now.

For images you need an external (or additional internal) disk. Messing with DVDs is no good unless they are double sided Blue Rays. My images are 25 to 40GBs. That would require a LOT of DVDs.

Posted 1 year ago

gregoryshock125

@ WHS as I said, I have an external hard drive to put an image on.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

OK, You answered before I asked the question. If you use the program in my link above, Your image will be appr. 30GBs. Read the tutorial carefully and also download the WinPE iso from the link that is posted in the tutorial. Also view the video by Kado (link included too) so that you understand the recovery process.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.