SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - How do I upgrade to Windows 7 (ATI Mobility Radeon 7500)

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Needhelpbro
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 3254 times

Needhelpbro
Needhelpbro

I have a T42 Thinkpad with XP and I want to upgrade it to Win7, the upgrade adviser only has one problem, the video driver. I will post the image link on. PLEASE help me solve. : http://postimage.org/image/al9od81md/

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Try the latest driver.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

From what I can see this is an old Laptop, not sure what memory you have installed but if you want to upgrade to Windows 7, I would suggest upgrading the memory. According to the spec it's either got 256mb or 512mb, which is not really sufficient for Windows 7.
Think you would be better to buy a new Laptop!
Finding drivers for Windows 7 on such an old Laptop could be pretty difficult if not impossible!

Posted 1 year ago

Needhelpbro
Needhelpbro

@Lighthouse, it is the latest.

@Ged, I have 2 1gb sticks=2gb RAM.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Have a look at the below forums

http://forum.thinkpads.com/vie.....38;t=92174
http://www.sevenforums.com/gra.....500-a.html

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Does the word incompatible, mean anything to you? However there are reports in the Google of the standard Windows drivers working, however with loss of some functionality, such as 3D, etc. If you are doing anything but the basic stuff with the monitor I do not think you will be pleased.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Xhi

"Does the word incompatible, mean anything to you?"

Don't think that's a very nice reply to the poster, he's only looking for advice, I understand you are stating the obvious, but maybe that was a little blunt!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Sometimes I'm not nice, I guess, and sometimes my wry sense of humor is misunderstood. But when someone says upgrade the driver and the OP says he has the latest then the "Not compatible" Item must apply. Some things are just not possible when trying to upgrade older computers. Folks need to understand that. I did quite a few minutes of research before giving that answer.

Perhaps I should have added a smiley face ;) , but as per the other thread on that subject I don't care for them. :p

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

I think one of the users in the forums I posted was able to resolve the issue, not sure if it will be helpful to the OP
I agree that upgrading such an old Laptop is not the done thing, wouldn't consider doing it myself, would be better just buying a new one.

Posted 1 year ago

Needhelpbro
Needhelpbro

Well I updated it, still says it is in-compatible, but people say they get it to work.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

It's going to show that's it's in-compatible, what you need to do is install the OS and then follow the advice on the first like I provided.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!