The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - How do I unscrew Outlook?

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by kiernan
  • Latest reply from kiernan
  • Topic Viewed 1259 times

kiernan

During setup under server type I accidentally chose the option "Microsoft Exchange Server" instead of IMAP. Don't ask me what I was thinking, I had a multitasking breakdown.

Anyway, I'd love to go in there and fix it up and configure my IMAP settings, but every time I start up Outlook I get the message, "The connection to the microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." Then a login box comes up for my server and email settings which obviously do not exist, so I cancel it out at which point I get the message, "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost in not an offline folder file."

When I click "ok", the program shuts down completely. Any attempts to restart it follow the same cycle.

I guess I need to just start over, but other than uninstalling the ENTIRE OFFICE SUITE, I have no other thoughts as to how to undo this mistake I made when trying to configure the server.

My ultimate goal is to use Gmail's IMAP via Outlook, syncing it all to my Palm eventually.

I'm using Vista.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56

kiernan, Welcome to HTG. If you are willing to uninstall Outlook then to re-install it in order to fix your settings, you can run Office setup and remove just Outlook...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

kiernan

Hmm...well I thought that would have done the trick. I uninstalled and reinstalled and I'm getting the same error. It apparently didn't forget the information I'd input previously. Are these options logged in a registry value or something?

Posted 4 years ago

kiernan

Ok, wow. I discovered the remedy. I had found similar directions like this before:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please go through the steps to remove Exchange account profile.

1. Close Outlook.
2. Navigate to "Start-"Control Panel".
3. Find "Mail",click on it.
4. Click "Show Profiles".
5. Select the Exchange account profile and then click "Remove".

Note: If Exchange account is the default one,then profile name should be "Outlook".

After that,you can add new profile with non-exchange account.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My problem was, since I'm now using Vista (and somewhat unfamiliar with it), the Control Panel does not have a selection called "Mail".

What Vista does have, however, is an icon that says, "Additional Items". From this selection I chose "View 32-bit Control Panel Items" where, sure enough, I found the e-mail icon, and could then follow the instructions above.

Once deleting the profile, Outlook is now reset allowing my to configure my IMAP settings.

Hope this helps someone else ignorant of Vista's little hidden charms. :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.