SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - how do I transfer photos from external hard drive to windows 7 my pictures?

(22 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tadros
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 5667 times

tadros

Hi. I have very limited computer knowledge and would be very grateful of some help! Over the years I have been backing my photos up on an external hard drive using windows XP on my 9 years old computer which has now finally crashed for good. We have just bought a toshiba laptop with windows 7 and it is telling me it will take 9 hours+ each to transfer/copy even my smaller photo folders (containing less than 200 photos). It surprises me as I transferred/copied all 50 folders back again from the hard drive in very little time at all on the many occasions I had to wipe and reinstall my old computer, and it was the slowest computer I've ever known for most things!I tried leaving the laptop on while I did other things, but transferring was getting timed out it was taking so long on some individual photos. Is there a problem with my laptop or is there something I can do?
many thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Where does it say 9 hours to transfer. Normally the initial estimate is high and it adjusts as it goes.

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

do you have any idea about the total size of the pictures that you want to transfer???

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

Hi thanks for your message-the total size of all 51 of my photo folders put together is 20gb (about 8900 files, of which some are very short video clips taken with a very basic camera). I've tried to transfer them folder at a time (100-200 max in each) but tells me will take many hours, and then gets stuck on certain photos. This never happened on my old computer (which was very old and slow!). The message comes up automatically "x hours remaining" I've tried the suggested instructions asking me if I'd like to import files, I've tried drag and drop, copy and paste but to no avail. I've just had a thought...If I can find the CD which came with my camera could this help?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You might want to give this a try. I have been using it for years,
http://codesector.com/teracopy

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Wondering about somethings here...

Assumption is that it worked on the old computer and the external drive is OK... but is that really the case now?

So I ask if you have tried it again on the old computer just to verify the external USB drive works fine?

Next what are the spec's (make and model) of the new computer? What is the hard drive type (make and model, and USB speed if known)?

Just how are you trying to copy? Windows Explorer? Command prompt?

I'm sort of thinking there is an incompatibility between the new computer (maybe USB 3.0) and the External Drive (USB 1.x or 2.0)?

If the old computer is still working, can you transfer some files to a USB Flash Drive and then take it to the new computer and does that copy off the files fast enough?

Another question, can you OPEN a picture on the External Drive into an application (which one are you using?) on the new computer?

Lastly, why did you suggest the CD that came with the camera? What did you think would be on that that would help? Usually it only contains the camera manual, driver, and utility for the camera and a photo application? Shouldn't have anything for an External drive or even USB ports?

Does the new computer have any other USB devices, network, printer, web cam, etc.? Do these work OK?

Just trying to see what works here....

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

Hi thanks for your help..my new computer is a toshiba satellite C660/C660D. Unfortunately my old computer(a 9 year old emachines windows xp) has crashed beyond repair so I can't check it using that. The hard drive make is "serial ATA" High speed USB 2.0. I've tried various methods of copying, both following prompts from my pictures, copy and paste, drag and drop and have the same problem. I can view the files on the computer direct from the hard drive totally normally..it is the copying that is the problem. I use a USB keyboard when the children play games and have had no problems with that. I have very little technical knowledge at all...my wondering whether the CD might help is because on my old computer I could not watch the short video clips I made with my digital camera until I installed the Cd and then the computer recognised them...wondered (with my totally untechnical logic!) whether in the same way the new computer might copy the files faster if it recognises what made them. I might try copying them straight to a flash drive (having both the hard drive and the flash drive plugged in separate USB sockets) and see if that may help (will have to wait till kids in bed). Let me know if you have any further suggestions in the meantime!
many thanks

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

PS I've just tried copying them from the hard drive to the memory stick and I have the same problem. I selected one file which is 77.6MB in size, and several photos had a "can't read from source file or disk" error message. Even before this the estimated time remaining was 2hrs45mins. Is there anything I can do to get the photos on my laptop or at least make a second back up of them...they are very precious to me as they are the only photos I have of my children growing up (I don't tend to print much at all)

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

This is so odd?

You can use a program to read the external drive and load a single picture and it works? Yet you can't copy it from the External drive to another device, flash drive or internal hard drive?

Have you run CHKDSK /F on the External Drive? Wondering if there are disk errors?

What EXACTLY are you using to copy the files? The command line copy variants will not tell you the time that it take? You using Windows Explorer or something else?

The real question might be do you have the correct USB drivers installed? Not too sure how to tell off-hand other than looking to see what the h/w is, but that can be hard to determine? Toshiba doesn't seem to call that out? You can tell by looking at Device Manager, but it isn't something that is easy to read without searching through the settings?

Have you tried asking Toshiba, especially if the laptop is still under warranty as this is a fairly new model?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

In fact I was mistaken...I thought viewing my photos from the hard drive was normal as I can see all the tiny individual images of my photos when I go to the my pictures folder on the hard drive(takes longer than expected to see images)...yet I've just discovered that when I click on any individual one to view it large size it just can't do it. Does that give you any further clues as to what the problem might be?

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Unfortunately no...

What you might be seeing is the results of Thumbnails on the drive or within the viewing program folder.

Define "when I click on any individual one to view it large size it just can't do it"? Error message(s) or it just doesn't load?

What programs are you using? Both the view the pictures AND do the copying?

You've probably got one of these problems :

- Bad h/w
- USB controller (how many USB ports do you have and have you tried them all?)
- External drive
- Flash drive
- Bad S/W
- OS files
- USB Driver files

You could have 'mismatched' s/w as well, a USB driver that just limps along but isn't the correct one. Did you get any driver CD's with the laptop? Does the Flash drive work other than trying to copy files from the External drive to it? Can you copy files from the Internal drive to it?

Have you opened the Event Manager and looked for errors (START ORB and enter into Search box EVENT VIEWER and open it looking for SYSTEM errors... if you have some that would help pin this down.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

did you use any encryption software on your old hard disk?

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

When I click on any one thumbnail image it just doesn't load...the little swirly circle just goes round and round. I don't know what programmes I used to try...I went to 'my computer' or 'computer' as windows 7 calls it in the start menu. I clicked on the external hard drive, then 'my pictures' in the menu that came up of what is on the hard drive, and then tried various folders and photos to open thumb nail images. I don't believe I used any encryption software on my hard drive or old computer (I wouldn't know how!). The thumbnails show as sunflower icons and then after a while display my individual photos. I hope the hard drive didn't get damaged in my old PC's last week before it croaked it...I could see it was on its way out so I went to back up my latest photos...in the process the whole computer froze and I couldn't even turn it off...the hard drive started bleeping and I had no option but to pull it out of the USB drive then turn the computer off at the wall. As it happened, the following day I managed to copy my last files to the hard drive without any problem. I will check out the flash stick now with the other files on it. I will also try to check out the codesector link suggested by lighthouse. I could try to view the hard drive from my Dad's computer this eve if we get a chance when we go for New Year...will keep you posted!

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

PS have tried other USB port and is the same. I managed to open one photo OK after a wait..then on another it took a while to display part of photo and then got the following error message "photo gallery cannot open this photo. File may be unsupported, damaged or corrupted". On another attempt I got "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed. Windows live photo gallery. 0x80004004" I tried an audio file in a different folder on my hard drive which started OK, but then I got "error playing track 1-file cannot be read". In the worst case is there any way photos can be restored from thumb nails if I were to take my hard drive to some kind of computer fixing shop?

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Sure sounds like a corrupted disk to me. Did you try running CHKDSK /F on it?

If the disk is damaged you should get the same results on your Dad's computer.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

What make and model is your external hdd that you are using and also is this the drive you are trying to copy files from or are you trying to use the drive from your old XP system?
Make and model of your new Tosh.
To verify your new Tosh system get a Cd or DVD and copy it to a temp folder on on the Tosh. Does it copy in a timely manner or does it take forever?
If it takes forever and you have no other USB device plugged into your system then maybe you should think about returning the Tosh while it's still under warranty or else you might be stuck with a system that has a defect in it.
Some low end laptops have only one USB controller and if you have more then one USB device plugged in they are super slow.
Yours sounds like either your new system or the hdd has a problem.

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

i''m copying a CD now...it takes longer than my old PC to rip...about a minute per track but its doing it. How do I do the CHKDSK/F check? Can I risk losing anything by doing that? Thanks to you all for your support..the makes/models etc are listed above earlier in the discussion. I didn't get any driver Cds with the laptop. I will try at Dad's and update you tomorrow! thanks again

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Don't worry about ripping just do a copy drom the Cd to your hdd. Does it take a long time? Maybe you can try copying the same Cd on your Dad's computer just to compare the time it takes to copy.
You need to get the command prompt then you type chkdsk /f. Click on the startorb > all programs > accessories > command prompt
If this utility finds problems it will attempt to fix them and you will lose the corrupt data.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Running CHKDKS /F (note there IS a space in there) checks the disk for errors and with the /F parameter will try to REPAIR it. Try is the operative word, in some cases it can't and 'disconnects' parts of the file which is bad. Yes, you can lose some data, but you'll also repair the disk so that it can be accessed, assuming your problems are due to disk errors. However, since you can't read it anyway due to the errors, that is just the way it is.

Easiest way I guess it to click on the Start Orb on the lower left, then double click on COMPUTER. Next, on the External drive you see there Right Mouse Button on it to bring up its Context menu. Last item on the menu is PROPERTIES, select that. Now click on the TOOLS tab. Top box is Error Checking, do that. Check BOTH boxes and run it. This could take some time, especially if the disk is damaged and/or very large.

Report back the results, but if it does a repair (no guarantee it will have too) the disk should now work properly for you.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

tadros

I tried it at my Dad's and had same problem....so it must be the hard drive that has the problem :( Thanks for telling me about CHKDKS/F. I am really scared that I may bodge it and loose the entire photo record of my children growing up...at least I now have the thumbnails...I'm thinking about taking it to a computer expert to see if the photo files can be extracted, or even having the thumbnails saved if nothing else. So annoying as this is what I had the external hard drive for....in future I'll know to make 2 hard copies rather than relying on one! Whole thing bit strange as computer started copying through photos fast then slowed up as if error happened while copying. Each time I've tried again it has been worse which is why I'm hesitant to do anything with the hard disk at all and would rather pay someone in-the-know. Thanks again for your help

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!