How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

How do I reset the firewall settings?

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by samlopez
  • Latest reply from samlopez
  • Topic Viewed 8602 times

samlopez
samlopez

I added some exceptions to my firewall and now the firewall appears to be turned off.
How do I reset the firewall defaults I have tried almost everything except editing the registry
I right clicked the lan icon in the system tray and clicked change Windows firewall settings.
The General page shows all the settings grayed out and the off button checked also grayed out.
I want to check the on button but it is not available.
If I get to the Firewall setting thru Control panel-> Security Center-> Firewall
It shows the firewall is on.
I would like to see it on going thru the lan shortcut how can I restore it?

What I didn't read before I change the exceptions and advanced tabs.
Warning
* If you use the Advanced tab to turn off Windows Firewall for one or more individual connections, the Windows Security Center will report that the firewall is off, even though the firewall is still turned on for other connections. +Also, on the General tab, Windows Firewall will still be set to On.

From Help and Support Center
To turn Windows Firewall on or off
You must be logged on to this computer as an administrator to complete this procedure.
1. Open Windows Firewall.
2. On the General tab, click one of the following:
* On (recommended). This is the setting that you should normally use.
You can also select the Don't allow exceptions check box. When this check box is selected, the firewall blocks all unsolicited requests to connect to your computer, including requests to programs or services selected on the Exceptions tab. Use this setting when you need maximum protection for your computer, such as when you connect to a public network in a hotel or airport, or when a dangerous virus or worm is spreading over the Internet.
* Off (not recommended). Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from viruses or unknown intruders.
Warning
* If you use the Advanced tab to turn off Windows Firewall for one or more individual connections, the Windows Security Center will report that the firewall is off, even though the firewall is still turned on for other connections. Also, on the General tab, Windows Firewall will still be set to On.
Notes
* To open Windows Firewall, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Windows Firewall.
* Windows Firewall is turned on by default for all Internet and network connections. However, some computer manufacturers and network administrators might turn it off.
* Windows Firewall is turned on by default, so you cannot use some features of some types of programs, unless the program is listed on the Exceptions tab in Windows Firewall. For example, you might not be able to send photos using an instant messaging program until you add the program to the exceptions list.

Help!!!!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What the heck? It's an epidemic! We seem to be getting a lot of Windows Firewall questions lately. In the Windows Firewall Settings window there is a "Restore Defaults" button on the Advanced tab. Did you try that? I would suggest that you restore defaults, turn the firewall off, restart the system, turn the firewall on, and see what happens. Try that and report back.

Welcome to the forum, Sam.

Posted 6 years ago

samlopez
samlopez

Yes I have tried the restore defaults that was one of the first things I tried.
Like I said I have tried almost everything except the registry.
When I go to the Security Center it shows that the firewall is on,
but if you click the firewall it's options are all grayed out,
and the firewall is checked off.
Thanks, Sam

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.