How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - How do i RESET the Administrator user on my system

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Designing5
  • Latest reply from Designing5
  • Topic Viewed 394 times

Designing5
Designing5

My brother gave me this computer with Win 8 and he set up a Main administrator because he also set up the internet connection. Now that I have it, I need to know how to reset that user and replace it with my own name and information.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Best, and easiest, is to re-install W8.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

There is an ID called Administrator that is built in. If he just set up another name as a user with Administrator privelages then all you need to do is to use it or the "Administrator" to creat a user with Administrator privileges of your own, then Delete his.

If he was just using the "Administrator" you can Hide it if you like.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Xhi. The built in one should only really be used for emergencys.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Definately, which is why I suggested hiding it. It was unclear as to which one his brother was using. If the brother was using it then making a new ID and Hiding Administrator seems to me to solve the problem.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

There are only 2 profiles in the system: The Guest and the one the he has as the Administrator. I just want to remove the one that he made and make it my own now that he WILL NOT be using this computer anymore. I'm not sure what you mean by "hiding" the Administrator. Let me know if you have a solution to this without having to reinstall Windows 8. Thanks in advance!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Is Classic Shell Start Button installed and the machine booting straight into Administrator Desktop Account ????

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Make yourself a profile with Administrator Privileges using the Administrator account Control Panel-> User Accounts. Then Log Off the Administrator Account and Log on your newly created account.

Start a CMD prompt by right clicking on the CMD.exe icon and selecting run as Adminitrator.

Type in
net user Administrator /active:no

When that is successful then yours will be the only active ID.

Posted 1 year ago

Designing5
Designing5

Thank you kindly Xhi. Have a good day!!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.