The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - How do I remove AVG Toolbar?

(35 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by hek
  • Latest reply from Alanathegeek
  • Topic Viewed 244830 times

hek

I have used AVG free virus protection for a number of years. Now, for reasons too involved to explain, I do not want the AVG toolbar showing when I use Firefox. How do I remove/disable/hide/whatever the AVG toolbar?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Welcome to the forum hek. AVG toolbar? I have never seen one of these. Can you describe a bit more please.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I never use Firfox but in IE and Opera there is a "Toolbars" setting facility under "Tools". I am sure Firefox has something similar.

Posted 5 years ago

hek

Lighthouse, the AVG toolbar is actually entitled (by AVG) the AVG Security Toolbar, but in my mind the word Security does not really apply. It is a horizontal bar stretching the width of the screen, and is broken into sections, some of which are drop menus and some of which are shortcuts and one of which is a search box.

whs, I finally found Firefox's Toolbars setting, but it is under View rather than Tools.

Thank you, both of you, for your time. I now have the solution for my problem, and I appreciate your assistance.

hek

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

hek. can you please tell us what the solution to your problem was?

Posted 5 years ago

hek

Lighthouse, of course I will. I assumed whs would understand, but I should have been more specific. In Firefox's View menu, there is a Toolbars sub-menu apparently listing all of the active or installed toolbars. One of the listed toolbars is the AVG Security Toolbar; I simply unchecked it and it disappeared, which is what I wanted. It can be brought back by re-checking it.

Upon re-reading your original response, it occurs to me that maybe you were asking what AVG is. AVG (originally from a company called Grisoft or some similar name) is virus protection software in several versions, one of which is free.

Again, thank you.

hek

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks hek, I understand all that. I just had never seen AVG install a tool bar before. Thankyou for for that info :)

Posted 5 years ago

jraparrish

AVG 8 now adds a toolbar that is installed when you install the Anti-virus software. I use AVG 8 Free and noticed that they slipped it into the install. If you pay close attention during the install, you will be able to uncheck the "Install AVG Toolbar". It is a little more subtle than the way Adobe Reader tries to push the Yahoo! toolbar. I never installed it but figured it would have had an entry in the "Add/Remove Software" applet. Guess not.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes. I know lots of programs try and sneak in a toolbar. I always watch out for them. It's just that I didn't notice that with AVG a couple of months ago.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

hek, I did understand. Just did not know it was under "View" - as I said, I am no Firefox user.

Posted 5 years ago

pingu7931hotmailcom

Also note that if you add a new user to Windows you may get the toolbar enabled by default.

Posted 5 years ago

qtkeesha

Has anyone been able to uninstall the avg toolbar? I have looked in the add/remove programs and not found it there - any help would be nice.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

See heks answer answer near the top.

Posted 4 years ago

Maddie

I too am having trouble removing the AVG toolbar. I kind of resent the underhanded installation. It installed on it's own during a shut-down update. They want me to pay for information on how to uninstall something that they loaded without consent or permission.

So...by simply un-checking the toolbar, am I only making it 'not visible', or am I actually removing it ?

Thanks in advance. =)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

So. Uninstall AVG using this (#4 option),
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
And then re-install it, taking great care on what you click on !

Posted 4 years ago

Maddie

I need more software to uninstall this ?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Yes. Revo is the one we always recommend for un-installing programs (apart from the one's that need special un-installers)

Posted 4 years ago

Maddie

As you can probably tell, I'm not extremely knowledgable in this area. =) But shouldn't AVG have a way to uninstall something they installed ?

Posted 4 years ago

Maddie

Anyways...that was kind of a rhetorical question. Thanks so much for your help LH.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

If you give me a few days, I will put together another computer, install AVG on a clean system, and check it all out. I am not putting AVG on my working machine.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!