The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How do I remove ALL confirmations?

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by GaryLW
  • Latest reply from GaryLW
  • Topic Viewed 1440 times

GaryLW

I can't stand setting up a large file move, going away to let it run for hours, and coming back to find the move stopped after 10% or so with a stupid "Are you sure you want to..."-prompt staring in my face. Of COURSE I want to!! Why else would I have done it in the first place?!? I'm grown up now and know when to use precautions. I need to know how to suppress these annoying prompts when I want to COPY, DELETE, or MOVE read-only, system or duplicate files, so my time isn't wasted with my PC idle. Can any kind soul tell me how to set-up Windows to do this? I've looked all over here, but I couldn't find the exact cure.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Hi Gary. You must remember that W7 has not officially yet been released. You are an experimenter, along with everyone else that uses it.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

GaryLW, hello. Now that you are grown up, and have outgrown the capabilities of Windows Explorer, you are ready to upgrade to a better copy utility. Get yourself a copy of the freeware RichCopy tool from Microsoft. As someone who knows what they want, you will appreciate the ability to configure all aspects of the copy or move, whether to keep or delete files, what to overwrite or not, what attributes to change and so much more. Oh yeah, and it's multi-threaded and multi-core aware, can resume from a failure and so much more.

See Figure 1 in the link to RichCopy from above and you can see where you would set the setting to "Copy always" or overwrite on various conditions such as file size, time stamp, duplicates, and so on. I have RichCopy running on my Windows 7 and it rocks.

Posted 5 years ago

GaryLW

Thanks for the advice. I've been having this problem ever since I started using Windows 95! I just got around (and P.O.-ed enough) to asking for help. I tried Robocopy some time ago without the GUI, but it didn't satisfy. So I'll try RichCopy, however I really would just like to turn off confirmations in Windows and drag and drop away! Any more suggestions while I try this?

Posted 5 years ago

ProstheticHead

I hear yoga works wonders :)

Posted 5 years ago

GaryLW

Well, RichCopy really wasn't my answer Aside from problems copying between networked drives, it just requires too much programming to get it running. Any other tips? I'd really like a hack that eliminates ALL hiccups in moving files in a bunch :)

Posted 5 years ago

najkiie

I believe TeraCopy would do what you need. It also has the ability to increase the copying speed A LOT.

Posted 5 years ago

GaryLW

I tried TeraCopy once before. I don't remember the problem I had with it, but I'll try the newest version again Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.