SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

How do I recover files from a RAW-formatted external HDD?

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by comachilly
  • Latest reply from comachilly
  • Topic Viewed 974 times

comachilly

My external HDD suddenly changed to RAW format so I can't access it anymore. Is formatting the disk to NTFS and recovering the data with a recovery tool the only way to get my data back? I have get that result from the internet. I also get that there are many recovery tools that can help me, such as iCare Data Recovery Free and Recuva. They are both free and efficient in restoring my data as some forums write, I also could download it in their links: http://www.piriform.com/recuva
http://download.cnet.com/iCare.....28752.html
But I really have no any idea about them, what could I do next?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

We are familiar with Recuva here. I would not hesitate to try it.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You may want to try a Surface Scan with this first, (check both boxes)
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html

Posted 1 year ago

comachilly

I could try Recuva? OK !i will have a try!Do you have any tips for me? i am not really familiar with this program and this problem .

Posted 1 year ago

comachilly

i have tried Recuva , it is definitely professional and efficient in restoring my data. so i have now recovered all of my data. it is really esay and simple to go, the scanning my HHD is also really quick unlike 360 virus scanning. and the most thoughtful part of it is that i could preview the data to make sure all of my data could be restored completely and rightly.
it is absolutely a good recovery program. have you ever used it or how do you think of it?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

comachilly, that is good to hear.

I have been using Recuva for over 2 years with very good results and on many client machines. It is one of the tools on my flash drive.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

oliverpowell
oliverpowell

Definitely, Recuva wins the race when it comes to choose freeware for recovering your data. Remember, You shouldn't forget to take backup or cloud host your data for better safety as many time Recuva would also fails when the deleted data is overwritten or severely damaged after virus/malware infection.

Thanks
Oliver

Posted 1 year ago

comachilly

Iwill try my best to remember always back up my data in the future.Thank you for your thoughtful tips.
However, i also has another problem want to ask.
Can i use Recuva to recover my photos on my phone or digital camera?
You know, i am really a careless person, i have ever done these stupid things and the only thing i could do is to blame myself, so as i have used Recuva, i just naturally think about it.
Do you have any idea?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

This is another good one. And it also does cameras,
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Posted 1 year ago

oliverpowell
oliverpowell

@comachilly,

Yes for sure. If You had stored your photos on memory card of your phone or digital camera, Recuva will successfully recover them too.
P.S.: You are prohibited to store further images onto the memory card till the deleted photos were recovered as the deleted photos may get overwritten or replaced with the stored photos.

There are bunch of utilities you can try to recover photos and TestDisk is just an another great utility like Recuva but it works more on command mode unlike Recuva, uses pure GUI mode.

Thanks for your kind words and positive response. Have a nice day ahead!!

Oliver

Posted 1 year ago

comachilly

OK! thanks a lot,too.
i have no need to only blame myself after my stupid behavor.
thank you very much.
if i have encountered these situations, i will use your wise suggestion, of course, i hope that could never happen again.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!