The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

How do I locate an unused Serial ATA data cable or SecureConnect cable

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by FredO
  • Latest reply from FredO
  • Topic Viewed 947 times

FredO

I am installing a WD Caviar GP 500gb to replace my c: drive. Its sounds like its about to go out.
I have located my SATA(its built into my desktop Compaq Presario S6000CL).
Then it says that the WD SATA cable does not supply power to the drve. When using the WD SATA cable, you must also attach a SATA power cable(not included) to the SATA drive.
I have the connectors with the lables P2, P3, P4, P5, and P8 on them. Two are attached to my cd/dvd and two are attached to my master and slave drives.
I don't want to guess at this.
Your help will be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

FredO,

There is something I'm missing here.

Your C: drive is your Operating System Drive.

How do you plan to put the Operating System back on your new C: Drive ??

Forget the cable hookups for the moment.

Go Aggies !!

Rick P. "68"

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

FredO, Chances are there are two different options for connecting the power supply, one will be a for the legacy style large, rectangular shaped five pin (I think) and one for the newer SATA power connectors which is fairly small and flat. If your power supply has one of the newer connectors available, go ahead and use it, otherwise go ahead and use one of the legacy ones.

@raphoenix, WD has some tools with their new drives that allow you to transfer your files from one drive to another drive as the boot drive.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Budohorseman,

Thanks.

Just wanted to ensure Fred had all the "tools".

Cable Connections should be his (least) concern if he has a (grasp) of computers.

Don't want anyone to lose data or their O/S.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

FredO

First off I want to thank everyone for the replies.
To Rick P.- all I can say to that is that when my hard drives have gone out in the past I change them then download the OS with the disk I have for that computer to reload the OS. I have moved all my files, folders, and apps to my other hard disk located on the same computer. It is a WD160gig.
To @raphoenix-O.K. I need to get the extra power cable then cause my power cables are all four wire.
Thank you all for you help on this. I hope to be able to help you some day.

FredO

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!