The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How do I know if I have an SSD drive?

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by feinui
  • Latest reply from feinui
  • Topic Viewed 14390 times

feinui

I read the tip in your article (Do you really need to defrag) that there is no need to defrag a computer with an SSD drive. How do I know if my laptop has an SSD drive? Appreciate any help.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

About the only way I know of is to open up the drive bay and actually look at it.

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

feinui, try Speccy, it will tell you about your computer & get you temperatures. http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Assuming you've never changed the drive itself, check the laptop spec's on the web. I don't recall many shipping with SSD's either? You could open SYSTEM INFORMATION (START --> Search and enter SYSTEM INFORMATION) and if the C: is over 120GB's you can be 99% sure it isn't an SSD. Also, use DEVICE MANAGER and look at the STORAGE info, it will detail the drive model, and check it on the web.

Many ways to get this info as well in other programs.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

What is your laptop?
It is unlikely it came with a ssd unless you specified.
In fact it is unlikely you have an ssd drive installed.
Speccy will show your drive info.
To boot, in win 7 you do not need to defrag by the way.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

You can try this command

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If you get a Zero (0), it is an SSD - a one (1) means it is not.

Note: The command is really for checking the TRIM support on SSDs. But since all modern SSDs support TRIM, this is a good check. There is also a command to check for a zero rotation disk. But that one I cannot remember right now. Maybe someone else does.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

WHS, as you know I have mixed drive types... Of course DisableDeleteNotify is off, but that is not the case for the hard drives (you have to run the command as Administrator to get the info btw). Strangely enough, this link, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/arc.....s-and.aspx seems to state some mechanical drives would not have it on either?

============
Will disk defragmentation be disabled by default on SSDs?

Yes. The automatic scheduling of defragmentation will exclude partitions on devices that declare themselves as SSDs. Additionally, if the system disk has random read performance characteristics above the threshold of 8 MB/sec, then it too will be excluded. The threshold was determined by internal analysis.

The random read threshold test was added to the final product to address the fact that few SSDs on the market today properly identify themselves as SSDs. 8 MB/sec is a relatively conservative rate. While none of our tested HDDs could approach 8 MB/sec, all of our tested SSDs exceeded that threshold. SSD performance ranged between 11 MB/sec and 130 MB/sec. Of the 182 HDDs tested, only 6 configurations managed to exceed 2 MB/sec on our random read test. The other 176 ranged between 0.8 MB/sec and 1.6 MB/sec.
=================

Hmmm....

Actually looking at the scheduled tasks in my case show only the C: drive is not automated for Defrag. Other drives are.

Irv S.

EDIT, found this --> http://itcookbook.net/blog/win.....-hard-find

Interesting....

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

SIW is a good free utility. Will show you if your drive is SSD or SATA
http://www.softpedia.com/get/S...../SIW.shtml
Some members have had problems with Speccy. For one it doesn't uninstall correctly. SIW doesn't have to install

Posted 2 years ago

feinui

Thanks people for all the input. I will try out the suggestions agt the weekend (my employer works me to death so I have little time during the week).

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.