SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

How do I get to restore my computer was it was turned off during a restoration?

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by CajunDove
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 306 times

CajunDove

How do I get to restore my computer was it was turned off during a restoration?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@CajunDove, Welcome to the HTG site.

You are going to have to supply more information. To start with, make and model of computer. Also, what happens when you attempt to start up. And what you have already done to try and resolve your issue.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Try again - maybe even with another restore point.

Posted 1 year ago

Dwinz007

up up nice thread waiting for exsact answer

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@Dwinz007, If you have a similar problem start your own topic, it would be to your benefit. This one might not be the same as yours.

Posted 1 year ago

QSHOTSdotcom

Dunno if my problem could be considered as related per se', but I'm desperate and so need to start somewhere.
Long story short (to begin with), I need to access System Restore (Win 7) to hopefully reverse an accidental setting change that was made, but have absolutely no way of doing so, be it in safe mode, or any other mode--HELP!!
The scenario: I had created an EXE file, and wasn't sure which program to open it with when the "Open with:" window came up. At first, I thought maybe Internet Explorer, and did hilight it, but decided against it, and had the mouse poised over "Cancel" and was just about to click, when...
The "accident": ...at that exact second, my cat decides to come flying up onto my lap outa nowhere, and...
The disaterous result: ...my hand jerked, and "Ok" got clicked instead of Cancel--but the situation is about as far from ok as it can get...OMG!! Thanx to the cat (poor dumb animal--lol), Internet Explorer is now set as the default program for opening any & all EXE's...that's any & ALL...which of course simply doesn't work. Do you realize the far-reaching implications that suddenly presents?
Basically, everything has come to a screeching halt, and I've just been staring (and cussing) at my screen for the past 4 days trying to figure a way outa this mess. I'm all but sure System Restore would indeed get things back on track, but you guessed it, it's a .exe file, as is regedit, command prompt, and any other thing that could possibly help. For the hell of it, I did try the safe mode way, but knew ahead of time it wouldn't work, and it didn't.
The bottom line, as I'm sure you know, is that any program of any kind is just that, a program, and thus an .exe file, and thus, on the vicious merry-go-round from hell we go--AAHHH!!!
(ahem) Sorry, but I'm about to pull my hair out here. I'm a nature photographer, work with a lot of photo/video editing programs and the like, and am right in the middle (of course) of reformatting my site, but of course, my FTP client is also an .exe, and on and on and on...(grimaces at cat)
I need some kinda back way in...some kind of override program, for lack of a better word...or SOMEthing (time machine?-ha). IE is about the only program I can actually open, so I'm at least able to get online and SHOUT for some kind of help, but just ain't makin any progress. Windows Explorer also opens, which is kinda wierd when ya think about it, so I'm also able to move around inside my folders and such, but a lotta good it's doing me when I can't actually do anything with any of it. I say again, HEEELP!!
To restore/reverse things back to the way they were before four-paws made his move is the only way I see to deal with this, but...but...
ANY help or input at all that you or anybody could give in regards to this fiasco would needless to say be GREATLY appreciated. (strokes purring cat...poor dumb animal...i do love him so :)
Thanx in advance...
p.s. - My comp is an HP Pavillion desktop, and didn't come with any installation discs. I did make a set of 3 recovery discs shortly after purchase, but honestly, don't see what help they'd be, as any .exe file of any kind is gonna have the "e" as its opening program regardless...the setting has been made, and that's that. And no, before you ask, I've never set up Windows Backup--the zipped folders end up being thier own nightmare, so--at this point, I'm just thankful I do at least have Restore in effect...if only...

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Hi QSHOTSdotcom
Welcome to HTG
Can you re post your request in a New Post, as it becomes very confusing,who is answering who answering.....

Posted 1 year ago

QSHOTSdotcom

Drizzle:
Um, ok...could ya tell me how to do that? I'm new on here, and such things never work right for me (obviously--ha), and I definitely don't wanna have to retype all that. My apologies tho for not gettin it exactly in the right spot. All the same, thanx for a quick response (nod).

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

No Probs ask away...
OK..
Top of this Page click 'How to geek forums'

In the right hand box Click 'New Topic'

In the subject /Topic Title..write a short description of your query
Then in Message copy or type out again your message
At the bottom Tab Pick a section
Then to right click 'SEND Post...

Posted 1 year ago

QSHOTSdotcom

Ok, I think it worked, and should now be in "new topic land" as well--Thanx

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Nice discussion - but we lost the OP in the bayou.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.