The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How do I get past the user profile & password on a new (used?) computer

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ken
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 838 times

ken

some time ago my father-in-law bought a new computer (Vista) for our kids. After sitting in the box for 2 years (don't ask), I just now opened it up & tried to get it up & running. It boots up ok until the user profile dialog box, where it has someone else's name as User and a request for that user's password, and no other options. I'm guessing it must have been a store demo model, since we got it straight from the store (via dad-in-law) and I don't recognize the user name & definitely don't know the password. Any suggestions how I can get past the dialog box?

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw

Start here.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-64587

Posted 5 years ago

ken

Thanks for the response, but I can't get to Start / COntrol Panel, much less any User Account setting or administrator dialog box. When I startup the first window I get is a User Account screen, with the only user option being Cathy (don't know who she is / was). This account requires a password, so I can't get past it.

My father-in-law was known as a creative bargain hunter, so it's no surprise that this computer isn't exactly new, although he bought it at a major store (hence the assumption it was a demo & user account & password was setup then). Is there some way to interupt the bootup process prior to starting windows, and changing the user account settings then?

Posted 5 years ago

007heran

have heard that you can pass through that windows administrator password by booting with use a XP Live cd to access the registry and try to find and decode the password. But i guess its not practical since you don't have files yet in that pc. why not reformatting it to get rid of that password? Its a lot easier than trying to crack that password, i think! hope it helps...

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

ken, I suggest that you try a factory reinstall. You might be able to access a factory restore utility during bootup with a hotkey. What is the make and model of the system? Different manufacturers use different hotkeys.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.