The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

How do I get my contacts back in Outlook

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by GemDoctor
  • Latest reply from GemDoctor
  • Topic Viewed 6180 times

GemDoctor

Well, I did a stupid thing of trying to get my small network going by trying to delete the network and then recreate it. When I went to delete it I noticed a lot of files going away so I cancelled. But in doing so I lost all my Outlook files including all my contacts. I suspect I corrupted the files. I tried to use RECUVA and it found two files (Outlook.pst and archive.pst) and recovered them. But I don't know if these were the right files. Can you help me bring my Outlook back? Computer has Vista, SP1 with Office 2007.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Your contacts are in the .pst files.

Close all instances of Outlook and try running scanpst.exe and tell us what it reports.
(You can go ahead and use the repair option if it suggests that)

Posted 5 years ago

GemDoctor

I tried scanpst and it brings up the box "The name of the file you want to scan". When I inserted OUTLOOK.PST it replied it was a read-only file and I did not have permission to repair...do you want to scan anyway. When I said yes it replied "An error has occured which caused the scan to be stopped"

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Try 'Run as Administrator', first.

You may have to follow the correct path to the file.
Try 'browse' and then go to C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

If there is such a folder, gulp.

Posted 5 years ago

GemDoctor

Well I ran the program and it repaired the Outlook.pst file. So now what do I do? I tried running Outlook but it didn't access this file. I moved it to the program files\microsoft office\office12 folder and tried invoking outlook but all I get was my recreated outlook (which I did after I lost all my stuff).

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

You can try to Import the file.
With Outlook open, click File>Import/Export>Import From Another Program or File>Personal Folder File (.pst)> and select the repaired file's location.

No promises though, a corrupt .pst may not be saved, or at least in conventional (and free) ways. Good luck :)

How large is the saved .pst file and how long did you have the old one?

Posted 5 years ago

GemDoctor

The file was 1.4 Gb and I did import it (thanks). I recovered some old messages but not my contacts (which is the most important to me). The import got hung up on "sent items" and didn't finish. I am wondering if I should try again. When I started the import function it said the file is already in use, but I bet there is more in there. So how can I proceed now?
P.S. Your help has been awesome. I really appreciate what you have done thusfar.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Sure, you can try again, just don't allow duplicates.

OK, that's a pretty big .pst so maybe there is hope. Are you certain the Contacts aren't in a different folder now? Try sorting by message type in all of your folders.

Posted 5 years ago

GemDoctor

HOORAY ! I got my contacts back! Much thanks to you. Now one more question...I downloaded and installed the Outlook backup file from Microsoft but I will be darned if I can't figure out how it works. Can you help me out?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Excellent :)
I don't use the backup software, but backup the entire system weekly. Something to consider for the future, eh?

Is this what you're talking about?
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....structions

Posted 5 years ago

GemDoctor

Yep...Microsoft says it is easy but I am afraid they know something I don't because I can't get it to work. It loads ok but it doesn't show the files I need to back up. Oh well I will forget it.
Thanks again for all your help.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!