How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

how do I convert windows 7 32bit to Windows 7 64bit

(18 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by kev24sev
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 8927 times

kev24sev
kev24sev

I paid ($129.00) for and downloaded an upgrade of Windows 7 32bit from Windows XP (SP3) from the microsoft website, I have since learned that my processor and system can run a 64 bit OS, and I want to know if I can convert to the 64bit version of Windows 7 by downloading.....or do I have to buy a disc with the 64 bit version. I know that I must make a 'clean' install, so I can't simply do an upgrade.....It would be very convenient and cost effective if I could download the 64bit version over the 32bit....thank you for any help you can give me.....Kevin

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Hi Kev. Contact MS, and see if they will give you 64 bit key. I doubt it, but always worth a try. What you downloaded contains the 64bit version.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

EDIT: AM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ANSWER.

http://code.kliu.org/misc/winisoutils/

Key should be the same.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

You should ask yourself first why you want to run a 64bit. Unless you have more than 4GB of RAM, there is really no gain - especially if you have to spend extra money.

Posted 3 years ago

Khai

in the triple pack we bought, we had 32 and 64 bit install disks. same Serial number for both versions. does not matter.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Khai,

The versions are different.

Need to backup any important Data to another device or the cloud.

Prepare the HD.

Clean Install Win7-64.

You can prepare the HD with the Win7-64 Installation DVD using DiskPart in the RE from a Command Prompt.

I'll give you the commands if you want ????

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Rick is correct, that if you have 32bit installed, you need to clean install the 64bit.

Posted 3 years ago

Khai

erm
I know that guys.

I said it was the same *serial* for the 2 versions. 32 or 64, they used the same serial number. with the triple pack, I did 2 64 bit installs and 1 32 bit install with the *single* supplied serial number in the case.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Khai,

What exactly are you asking ????

I assume the (3) Pack will support (3) computers in any combination of Win32 and / or Win64.

Am assuming that (3) Pack will support (3) Win7-64 machines.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

The 3 pack is most likely a retail version. But the OP seems to have an upgrade version - judging by the price he paid. And that works differently.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Khai. You have hijacked this thread. Please could you start a New Topic.

Posted 3 years ago

Khai

guys. I've hijacked nothing.

I was commenting on this

"Hi Kev. Contact MS, and see if they will give you 64 bit key. I doubt it, but always worth a try. What you downloaded contains the 64bit version. "

there is no 64bit key. the key for 32 works with 64bit. sorry if I offended anyone...?

but reading back, I've done nothing wrong and others made assumptions about what I wrote.

I think I'll just move on and not bother round here...

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Khai, Hi. No need to be like that! What LH meant that your problem differs from the OP and it would be better to address it as a new topic.
This prevents kev24sev getting confused.

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

Guys, why have you got the idea Khai is asking a question? He does not have a problem, he is just stating the same key works for 32 bit and 64 bit.
He is giving input.

Quotefrom Khai:
" I said it was the same *serial* for the 2 versions. 32 or 64, they used the same serial number. with the triple pack, I did 2 64 bit installs and 1 32 bit install with the *single* supplied serial number in the case."

Rick: " What exactly are you asking ????" Where do you get the idea he is asking anything?
LH: " Khai. You have hijacked this thread. Please could you start a New Topic." Start a topic on what?

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Seasider2,

Please read the FIRST Post on this Topic Thread.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

Rick I have read the first and every other post. Please read the FIFTH. There is no question in that post, simply a statement of experience.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I must have missed something when OP stated:

"....thank you for any help you can give me.....Kevin"

Appeared as if OP was asking for help.

Phrases and Language have always been a barrier on HTG.

No issue.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Khai. Sometimes confusion occurs. Please accept my apologies :)

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.