SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How do I convert Video_ts.vob files to a format that Windows Movie Maker can edi

(25 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by tuiruru
  • Latest reply from tuiruru
  • Topic Viewed 46483 times

tuiruru
tuiruru

My wife has used her DVD camcorder to video some interviews (with the client’s permission) and wants me to chop bits out in Window’s Movie Maker V 6 SP 1 in Vista Home Premium.
The .VOB files import into WMM fine and play in the preview window fine but when they’re placed in the timeline only go for about 10 secs. I guess I have to convert them to wmv, avi, or some flavour of MP(E)G, so two questions:
1) What (FREE!) software should I use to convert them? And
2) Which is the best format to use given that the edited file will need to be played back on a computer or bog standard DVD player (really high quality is not an issue)?
Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Me and many others here use Format Factory. It converts practically anything to WMM. It has vob conversion capabilities but I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. I'd take a look see.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

tuiruru, a VOB file is part of the DVD file structure that is more useful when all of the other DVD files are included. Inside of a VOB there is an MPEG-2 video stream, but without the .IFO file to accompany it, all of the chapter information will likely be lost.

To edit these videos, you can use any DVD authoring software. You might already have something such as Nero, Roxio, or other. These kinds of programs are often included with new PCs or with new DVD drives. If you don't have one, try DVD Flick which is free and highly recommended by our own whs.

If you want the videos to play back on a PC and on a stand-alone DVD player, then the best format to use is MPEG-2. In other words, just keep the clips in DVD format and write them to another DVD-R disc. This is the only format that all stand-alone DVD players will read.

Posted 5 years ago

tuiruru
tuiruru

Hi Techgranny and ScottW

Below this little bit is a summary of the stuff I've posted on another forum which might help you push me in the right direction. Techgranny, I've tried Format Factory and converted the .VOB file to both a WMV and MPG file. In the converted files the sound runs flawlessly but the video has lots of still/slow moments - any ideas about what's causing it and how to put it right? I've got a 2.4 GHz processor and 4 gigs of RAM so I don't think it's because the laptop is under-speced.

Anyway, here's the other stuff:

Thanks so far guys

I've just tried a little freebee called Prism Video Converter which seems to convert the video to WMV or AVI OK but loses the sound on the way. Let's maybe focus on getting it to one of those two and for the moment forget about playing it on a DVD player.

I tried using VLC Media player to do a conversion to mpeg1 but ended up with a file with a file extension of .ps and size zerao bytes

The file I want to edit is a straight off one hour recording - wifey just let the camera roll. Do I need to consider the related .BUP and .IFO files in all this?

Hi People – Thanks for the help so far but more advice needed. So, trying your suggestions:
HandBreak – If I go to SOURCE > VIDEO_TS FOLDER I get the following error message (Thanks to BLAM6 for his CTRL C tip on error messages in a previous post)
Error
No Title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source.
Your Source may be copy protected, badly mastered or a format which HandBrake does not support.
Please refer to the Documentation and FAQ (see Help Menu).
OK
If I go to SOURCE > VIDEO FILE, select the desire .VOB file, then choose the MPEG-4 (xvid) vodec and want to output it as an AVI file (with frame rate “Same as Source” or 24 fps it says it’s going to take over 11 hours!! Is this right> What am I doing wrong? Any advice from HandBreak experts gratefully accepted.
I then tried Virtual dub V. 1.8.8, went to the desired .VOB file and got the following message:
VirtualDub Error
MPEG Import Filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set; possibly MPEG-2 stream
OK
The HELP file also talks about using cables from a DVD or TV in the importing process which seems a bit of old hat so have I got the most up to date version?
Once again can I say that I’m not wanting big video production stuff here. It’s just basically data conversion and transfer so that I can get VIDEO_TS.VOB files into Windows Movie Maker (or similar free software) to chop out three minutes here, five minutes there, to reduce an hour’s interview to 15 relevant minutes for course assessment purposes.
Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

First, I have a completely unrelated suggestion. Can your camera transfer video directly to the PC using a FireWire (IEEE 1394) or USB cable? That might give you a video file that is easier to work with. In Windows Movie Maker, for example, under Import is a selection for "From digital video camera" that should work. Also, most consumer camcorders come with software that should allow you to transfer the video to a PC.

If you are going to continue using the DVD files, you need to stop trying to load .VOB files. First, you should copy all of the files in the VIDEO_TS folder together -- they must not be separated. Once you have these files on your hard drive, make sure that they can be played back as a DVD. In WMP 11, for example, choose File -> Open (or Ctrl-o), then select the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. You should see all of the titles and chapters and it should indicate that it's playing a DVD. I don't use VLC, but I'm sure it can do something similar.

Now, whatever DVD authoring software you plan to use, either select DVD import, or open the VIDEO_TS folder, or open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file. Do NOT open any VOB files.

Posted 5 years ago

tuiruru
tuiruru

Hi ScottW

Sorry for the delay in replying. All the video files (.IFO, .BUP and VOB) have transferred to the hard drive and if I load the VIDEO_TS.IFO file into Win Media Player it works fine. How would I use DVD Flick to convert these to a .WMV or .AVI file so I can chop it about in Win. Movie Maker?

Posted 5 years ago

wakekeke70

go download a total video converter... you can find and download that at xxxxxxx they have compressed file that has a installer with a serial number on it... hope this help.. for choosing a high quality i use DVIX format. hehehe

Edit by mod: hehehe

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

wakekeke70, that's against the forum rules -- no warez, no cracks.

tuiruru, I'll get back to you tomorrow -- still researching the tools.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

tuiruru, I haven't tried it yet, but I like the looks of VOB2MPG v3.0. The free version of this program will convert titles from a DVD file structure (IFOs and VOBs) into individual files in MPEG-2 format. You should be able to load the resulting .mpg files into Windows Movie Maker and edit them. Start with this and see if it works for you.

Posted 5 years ago

tuiruru
tuiruru

Hi Scott W

Are you still going to give it a go too?

Posted 5 years ago

tuiruru
tuiruru

Hi again ScottW

Looking at the "supported file types in WMM "HELP" it doesn't list MPEG-2 - just MPG and MPEG. Will this be a problem or is MPEG-2 part of an mpg file? I'm afraid I'm ignorant on this side of things.

Posted 5 years ago

tuiruru
tuiruru

Hi ScottW
Just to bring you up to date I tried VOB2MPG converter and using the “older” conversion process of the two that the free version contains it produced an MPG file that worked fine in Win Media Player 11 and VLC Media Player. However, when I tried playing it in Win Media Player Classic Home Cinema (which I think somebody in this forum suggested to me when I was having a different sort of Video playback problem) the video played with no sound. I’m guessing it’s a CODEC problem. Have you heard anything bad about L-Lite Codec Pack Standard 4.8.5?

Thanks for your help

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

tuiruru, I'm still planning to give VOB2MPG a try. I would like to see what it outputs.

The file that ends in .mpg should be a container which can hold different video streams. MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and so on are video streams. So when WMM, or any other software says MPG and MPEG support, they are being vague.

Stay away from codec packs! Codec packs are bad! Avoid K-Lite like the plague, and L-Lite if that's not just a typo. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I'm probably the one who recommended MPC HomeCinema -- it's one of my favorites. Also, get yourself a copy of the free, portable, open-source tool MediaInfo and check the specs on that file. My guess is that the mpeg file output by VOB2MPG may have kept the sound in AC-3 format and you don't have a DirectShow filter for that. VLC and WMP probably have AC-3 support built-in.

Posted 5 years ago

tuiruru
tuiruru

Thanks ScottW

I'll look into MedianInfo tomorrow - I'm a bit pushed for time today. Where would I get a DirectShow filter from if I need it. And thanks for the timely warning on Codec packs - I'll read thru the tread you directed me to.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes with VOB2MPG. Using IFO mode in the free version seemed to do the job but when I played the converted file the "elapsed time" showing at the bottom of the screen stopped incrementing after a little while even tho the file was running. VOBSET mode strung the two VOB files together (split originally I think because the "straight thru'" video recording that was made was over an hour and the VOB file got bigger than a GIG) and the elapsed time display behaved itself. Just goes to show that sometimes previous versions can sometimes do the job better than the "newer" flavour.

Posted 5 years ago

tuiruru
tuiruru

Hi yet again Scott W - you help and advice has been great so far!
Below are the details of the file VOB2MPG file I'm talking about and as you suspected the audio format is AC-3. So, is it possible to get it playing with sound in Win Media Player Classic?

General
Complete name : C:\1\VTS_01.mpg
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 1.09 GiB
Duration : 1h 2mn
Overall bit rate : 2 489 Kbps

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 134 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 9 200 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.206
Stream size : 954 MiB (86%)

Audio
ID : 128 (0x80)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Video delay : -80ms
Stream size : 114 MiB (10%)

Menu
Format : DVD-Video

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

Have you tried useing Handbrake. it should push all of the .vod files into one movie. then you could go back over it with movie maker and do the edits you need to. set format to .avi and the codec to Xvid.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

tuiruru, since you are using Vista Home Premium, you should already have an AC-3 decoder which comes with the OS. Get a copy of the Media Center Decoder Utility (MCDU) from this web page to check it. Here are the video and audio selections from mine on an older version of the utility.

This built-in Dolby Digital decoder should be used by MPC HomeCinema for playback of AC-3 audio streams.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

PalmTrees, do you use Handbrake? From what I see at their website, the choices for output files are AVI, MP4, MKV, or OGM. While these formats, and Xvid, are good for distribution, they are not as good for editing as MPEG-2 is. Also, the videos would have to go through several conversions for what tuiruru is planning. MPEG-2 -> AVI -> WMV -> MPEG-2. Every conversion means time and loss of quality.

Can Handbrake output to a .mpg file with MPEG-2 video?

Posted 5 years ago

PalmTrees
PalmTrees

yes i do use handbrake from time to time.

from what i understand high-quality is not an issue. with handbrake you can use the drop-down and tabbed menus to tweak the quality.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.