The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How do I change a file from M4A to mp3?

(17 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by stonecold2129
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 26161 times

stonecold2129

I have windowns vista. Some of my music files are M4A and wont go on my mp3 player. How do I convert these files to an mp3 file? I am trying to use windows media player to sync them.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Rename them to .mp3

Posted 5 years ago

stonecold2129

How do you do that? When I click on it and click rename, it just gives me the option to change the name.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Look at the pane below with the extension in it.

Posted 5 years ago

stonecold2129

I must be a goober. I cant see where you are talking about. You may have to do a step by step with me. Im not very computer suave.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Change the New extension

Posted 5 years ago

hatryst

what about the *.m4p files (songs purchased from iTunes store) ?
how to convert them to mp3?

(shall i start a new thread?)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

You can change the name of a .m4a file to .mp3, but that won't change the format of the data inside.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

ScottW. True. But at at least it plays afterwards.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

@LH, I don't understand the need to change the filename. A .m4a file is an AAC audio stream in a MPEG-4 audio container. That doesn't change when the filename changes -- it's defined by the data in the file's header. My .m4a files play in WMP. I just verified this with XP + WMP10 and Win7 + WMP12.

@stonecold2129, what kind of MP3 player do you have? Are you able to sync .mp3 files to it with WMP? Do your .m4a files play in WMP?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

@ScottW. This goes back a couple of years. I converted a whole bunch of CD's (he wanted MP3 copies) for a friend. Most of them were .cda, but there was one with .m4a files on it (that wouldn't play). After a search on the net I found about the renaming to .mp3, and they played. Things may have changed.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

LH, I see. I just don't want anyone reading this to think that changing the filename will somehow change the contents of a file. A player that can't handle AAC audio won't play a .m4a file no matter what you call it.

Or, as Juliet would say, "That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet." :-)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I understand ScottW. Will have to find some .m4a files and see if it still works. Don't know where tho' :(

Posted 5 years ago

Shirls2009

What I did was google m4a to mp3 converter. There are a bunch of free ones available for download and they convert all sorts of other file formats too.

Posted 5 years ago

stonecold2129

I have a Creative Zen V Plus. 2gb. I had an ipod but it broke.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames

FormatFactory converts to and from Mp3 and M4A.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

stonecold, well your Zen V Plus won't play .m4a audio tracks or any AAC audio streams (even if you rename them :). I have a Zen Vision:M, so I'm familiar with the brand. You will need to convert the .m4a files to .mp3 or .wma in order to transfer them to your player. You can use a stand-alone converter, such as FormatFactory to do the conversion.

What program do you use to sync tracks to your player? If you are using MediaSource 5, it won't handle .m4a files, unfortunately. However, there are other apps that could convert the m4a files and sync them to your player. MediaMonkey, for example, might be able to do this and probably some others.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.